Honored Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

I would only use a damp cloth and tread lightly.

@SHOPR though has good insight.  I've cleaned things over the years and have wiped off the finish.  I'm wiser these days.  LOL

@GCR18  Water removes the paint.

Honored Contributor

I have tons of mercury glass items, and have never had the need to clean with anything other than a dust cloth, gently, as water removes the paint.

Honored Contributor

The mercury glass apothacary jars I have from VPH has the mercury coating on the inside and it will come off if I use windex or detergent of any kind on it. I just wipe the inside with a damp cloth, but do use windex sprayed on a paper towel for the outside that is not coated. So far so good,my jars are left out all year round and they are 4 years old and look new.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@GCR18 wrote:

I would only use a damp cloth and tread lightly.

@SHOPR though has good insight.  I've cleaned things over the years and have wiped off the finish.  I'm wiser these days.  LOL

@GCR18  Water removes the paint.

I haven't had an issue with a damp cloth.  I don't do it often.

Contributor

Thank you all so very much for the reply’s. I do dust but did have a couple of things that was questionable, while some seem like the paint is on the inside I did seem to think the oversized sphere felt like it was on the outside. So I will take very good caution if a damp cloth with water is needed. I will not use the windex at all. 

Thank you all again for the info, and the kaleidoscope christmas tree was on my list to find out where the mercury finish is on the inside or out.  I got lots of info from you all, Thank You All ! 

Esteemed Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

I have tons of mercury glass items, and have never had the need to clean with anything other than a dust cloth, gently, as water removes the paint.

@mousiegirl, It's good that you have emphasized this.  I rarely use anything other than a dry cloth, either, just to be safe, and if I do use a damp cloth, I wipe very lightly.  

Esteemed Contributor

@skipam wrote:

Thank you all so very much for the reply’s. I do dust but did have a couple of things that was questionable, while some seem like the paint is on the inside I did seem to think the oversized sphere felt like it was on the outside. So I will take very good caution if a damp cloth with water is needed. I will not use the windex at all. 

Thank you all again for the info, and the kaleidoscope christmas tree was on my list to find out where the mercury finish is on the inside or out.  I got lots of info from you all, Thank You All ! 

@skipam, Happy to help.  Just remember, as is the case at least with my blush kaleidoscope tree, the finish can actually be inside and outside.  

Contributor

Thank you so much , I never knew there could be finish on both outside and inside. Do you like your blush tree? I am really leaning towards the blush and after seeing the silver I just know it would look beautiful all year round ! 

Esteemed Contributor

@skipam wrote:

Thank you so much , I never knew there could be finish on both outside and inside. Do you like your blush tree? I am really leaning towards the blush and after seeing the silver I just know it would look beautiful all year round ! 

@skipam, The blush trees are in fact copper colored, the same as a shiny new penny.  There is a thread in Holiday forum where several of us have commented on its true color, and there are also photos posted there.

Link:  

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Holiday/Received-My-Kaleidoscope-Trees-Review/m-p/4814494#M46604

It is a pretty color, but not anywhere close to the blush pink color that I needed, so I will be exchanging mine for perhaps a green tree.