Contributor

Can someone tell me how they clean mercury glass by Valerie? I have several beautiful pieces and I can’t find out if other than dusting is there a way to clean them? as in should I use just water or windex? I keep them put all year long inside of my house, lots of spheres and even though dusting I would like to clean the outside of them.  And does anyone know how they get the mercury glass finish? as in is it on the inside of the spheres or painted on the outside? is it actually put inside of the glass it self as it is molded? 

Thanks so much for any info!  

Respected Contributor

Re: Cleaning mercury glass

[ Edited ]

I have two mercury glass lamps - I just dust them weekly.  Be careful  with your pieces.  I have seasonal pieces from QVC but I just dust them also.  

I just googled it - apparently ok to spray glass cleaner on a paper towel and wipe the pieces.  Or do the same with warm water.

Contributor

Thank you so much ! I just have a couple of pieces that look like they needed more than a dusting and ai wasn’t even sure if the mercury effect was on the inside or out. 

‘Thanks again !

Contributor

If you own Supercloth from qvc that works great, leaves no streaks.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cleaning mercury glass

[ Edited ]

@skipam wrote:

Can someone tell me how they clean mercury glass by Valerie? I have several beautiful pieces and I can’t find out if other than dusting is there a way to clean them? as in should I use just water or windex?  . . .

Google is your friend, and has many items about how mercury glass is made and how to clean it.

Basically stick with microfiber for dusting and if needed, spray the microfiber with warm water and wipe until clean, then use dry microfiber to polish dry.

Microfiber cloth from the dollar store works just fine.

Esteemed Contributor

@skipam, Every piece of glass with a mercury glass type finish may not be created using the same method.  I have had some where all of the silver or shiny colored treatment is on the inside with none on the outside.  Those are easy to clean on the outside, and there is little chance of any of the finish coming off. 

I have also had some pieces where the finish is just on the outside, which makes them very susceptible to their shiny finish being removed by cleaners or even by wiping the least bit heavy-handedly with a damp cloth.  

In the case of the recent kaleidoscope tree TSV, H215595, I have the blush tree.  I notice that its mottled texture and shiny colored treatment is all safely on the inside, BUT, there is also a light spraying of a color tint on the outside of the glass. I realized this when spinning it around, because I had noticed that some areas were a different color than others, and that is because the light spray coating is a bit uneven.  A fingernail pushed across the glass in a heavier coated area will confirm this, because it removes some of it.  For this reason, I would not use any cleanser on the TSV kaleidoscope trees, and use a cloth dampened with water only when necessary and wiped very gently.

It's best to treat all mercury glass as delicately as possible until you know for sure if that piece has any outside coating. I, along with others here, have learned this by trial and error.  HTH.

Honored Contributor

I would only use a damp cloth and tread lightly.

@SHOPR though has good insight.  I've cleaned things over the years and have wiped off the finish.  I'm wiser these days.  LOL

Trusted Contributor

WHAT ever you do don't use Windex.  I sprayed on one of her red pieces and the red came off on the rag.

Honored Contributor

@skipam wrote:

Can someone tell me how they clean mercury glass by Valerie? I have several beautiful pieces and I can’t find out if other than dusting is there a way to clean them? as in should I use just water or windex? I keep them put all year long inside of my house, lots of spheres and even though dusting I would like to clean the outside of them.  And does anyone know how they get the mercury glass finish? as in is it on the inside of the spheres or painted on the outside? is it actually put inside of the glass it self as it is molded? 

@skipam  Don't use water, the paint will come off.  I just gently use a dust cloth.

Honored Contributor

@FranandZoe wrote:

I have two mercury glass lamps - I just dust them weekly.  Be careful  with your pieces.  I have seasonal pieces from QVC but I just dust them also.  

I just googled it - apparently ok to spray glass cleaner on a paper towel and wipe the pieces.  Or do the same with warm water.

@FranandZoe  Water will remove the paint.  Valerie's isn't real mercury glass, so don't know if on the original water could be used, but if painted, I don't see how.