Valued Contributor

Cleaning laminate wood floors

[ Edited ]

My DH has Alzheimers and with the problems that come with it, our bedroom laminte floor is no longer shiny. I have a steam cleaner I use, but it is still dingy. I saw something on some channel that said to try this solution:  white vinegar,water, dish detergent and rubbing alcohol.  Well, I just did, and the floor looks the same. I know it is clean, but just doesn't look it.  Any other ideas?

Now that they have dried, it looks like I spread baking soda on them!!!!!!Man Surprised

Spoiler

Respected Contributor

Re: Cleaning laminate wood floors

Do NOT use a steamer on your laminate! It will warp due to water being pressed into the wood. The abrasives ( baking soda) are as bad. Bona (available in Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, etc) is perfect to use to clean laminate. It is simple spray on and wipe down w/ dry floor mopt hat is soft. I use Don Aslett mop heads from QVC. These mop heads are cushiony and are machine washed. Good Luck!

Honored Contributor

I wipe up "kittigifts" with a spray of liquid cleaner (Windex, Mr. Clean, Top Job, doesn't matter) and a microfiber cloth.   Doesn't leave marks......but I have a matte finish laminate...........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

The laminates generally have a polyurethane finish on them.  If this is scrubbed off, they lose the shine.  I have dogs that track in sand from the back yard and they have ruined my floor in the area near the door.  Could you have scrubbed off this finish?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I have a wood looking laminate planks in my carriage house which is our guest house. I always clean it with my steam cleaner! It looks pristine and is nice and clean. Never have any warping. It isn't wood its laminate.

"Pure Michigan"
Highlighted
Super Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@maestra wrote:

Do NOT use a steamer on your laminate! It will warp due to water being pressed into the wood. The abrasives ( baking soda) are as bad. Bona (available in Walmart, Lowes, Home Depot, etc) is perfect to use to clean laminate. It is simple spray on and wipe down w/ dry floor mopt hat is soft. I use Don Aslett mop heads from QVC. These mop heads are cushiony and are machine washed. Good Luck!

I like using Bona and would also recommend it....

Honored Contributor

I had laminate flooring put into the house we just sold.  I used REJUVINATE in the spray bottle for laminate flooring and it is absolutely the best for cleaning and maintaining a shine.  I didn't realize at the time how hard it would be to maintain the shine when we bought the flooring, but I swear by this product and use it in the house we have now for our wood flooring (spray bottle especially for wood flooring).  They have many products, and you've likely seen the demo on QVC (years ago) with the product for furniture or cabinets.  It's excellent.

I've purchased it at Home Depot but understand it's at WalMart now, maybe even Menards..... Woman Happy  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I have had laminate flooring in all bedrooms, hallway and living room for nearly 10 years.  I follow the cleaning directions recommended by the manufacturer, which specifically says no steam cleaning, and damp mopping only with water and vinegar.  Heat damages laminate, and many bottled products build up on laminate.  Once the shine is gone from this type of flooring, it is usually permanent.