Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cleaning laminate floor- Can a broom be used and suggestions needed?

@SouthernBee  We put Pergo in our downstairs rec area about 10-12 years ago. We have two dogs and a cat and it still looks brand new. I never, ever sweep in the house. I vacuum without a beater bar.

I Think i can Wednesday

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Super Contributor

I have laminate in my whole house. It was installed before my house was complete, so I had construction dust that had to be removed before I moved in. I used a special spray-on cleaner made for laminate floors. There are several brands, Bona is one . The brand I used is Bruce. I purchased it at Lowe's and they recommended a product to wipe it with, which had removable soft pads that you can wash and reuse, and a long handle. You can, also, cut a piece of cloth from old clothing. Make it the size of a Swiffer cloth, wet it and squeeze dry, put on your Swiffer tool, and wipe your floor that way. I ,too, now vacuum my floors and turn off the beater bars. I also use Swiffer for regular dusting.

i have found that laminate flooring is the easiest to keep clean. Good luck to you. Don't get discouraged. 

Trusted Contributor

I use a Haan stem mop for cleaning my laminate.  Works very well with little water.  I vacuum first, then mop.

Esteemed Contributor

@henderson wrote:

I use a Haan stem mop for cleaning my laminate.  Works very well with little water.  I vacuum first, then mop.

@henderson It may depend on your laminate. With Pergo, the manufacturer says NO to steam mops. It isn't the moisture, but the heat that can cause a problem. I have a Haan that I use on my vinyl flooring and occasionally on my natural wood oak floors.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@henderson

My laminate says NO steam cleaning.   

Honored Contributor

I have a dyson sweeper so I turn off the brush rotation and I can safely vacuum my laminate. I do it all the time. When the floor is not very dirty I just go over it with a Don Aslett mop using the dry mop pad.When my housekeeper is here she sprays it with cleaner esp for laminate floors and mops with the aslet mop using a mopping pad.

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@SouthernBee wrote:

@Desertdi- I was afraid that the rollers on the vacuum would scratch the floor. I tried to research the previous topics because I thought someone had suggested a special broom. I know the installer stressed no regular wet mopping, no steam cleaner and no wet Swiffer type products. I appreciate your help. Southern Bee

@SouthernBee   You would have to use a chisle to scratch Pergo (or similar brands, of flooring.)     That was the "selling point" for me.  di

We put ours down in the kitchen and dining room 10-12 years ago and it looks as good today as it did then.  There isn't a scratch on it.

The only thing I don't like about it, it does show every little drip and splash that hits it.

Esteemed Contributor

I have the same type of flooring but my floors are the Wilsonart brand. I use Don Astlett's mop with the microfiber pad--dry. It does a wonderful job. You can spritz some water on the pad if there is something you need to clean. I use my Hann Steamer on the floors about once a year. They still look like new. 

(I have dogs, kids, etc. so these floors get a work out) 

Honored Contributor

I appreciate all the information and suggestions. The new room is 23x16.  My vacuum cleaner stopped working two weeks ago . I have not had time to go shopping . The only things I had to clean with was a broom and the small Swiffer type thing with the disposable paper pads. I have ordered the large 24 inch janitorial  type  sweeper/ mop with the wet and dry washable  cleaning pads. My DH surprised me today  wth the shark  rotator lift away with the hepa filter. He said: The box had a photo of it being used on what looked like our Pergo flooring and that should be good. Yea! One less thing that I need to purchase. What is the difference between regular white vinegar and the house hold cleaning vinegar? I only have the regular vinegar. Now to put the vacuum cleaner together and get busy. I love this forum because everyone has been so helpful. Yep- we can research for information but so helpful when people chime in with the tried and true information. Thanks again and enjoy the weekend. Southern Bee

Honored Contributor

@SouthernBee,

The type of vinegar you use is irrelevant; I'm as likely to use apple cider vinegar in the mop water as white vinegar.