Valued Contributor

Re: Cleaning laminate floor- Can a broom be used and suggestions needed?

I was so happy to see this thread as I am considering putting  a high grade laminate in most of my house, excluding baths, kitchen and laundry room which have a durable ceramic tile.  I, too, was very interested in how to clean and durability since we have two small children and two dogs and a very active household.  It made me so happy to see that the laminate was working well for all of you.  I've been back and forth with my decision not knowing if I was making the best choice or not.  I'm deciding between a high grade Shaw laminate and Pergo.  Any suggestions and advice would be appreciated.

Honored Contributor

I have laminate from Costco that is ten years old.  I'm sure Pergo is just as good if not better.  I use the wet Swiffer pads, not the kind that has a bottle you keep spraying.  This is after either broom or dust mop.  Floor looks new with two exceptions.  I once left a trash bag that leaked slightly, lifted in that spot a little.  Hubby left the Swiffer mop when he was done, again lifted slightly.  Rest of floor looks new, no scratching, and we track in sand and gravel, even with rugs at the doors. I'd read what Pergo says on their website, not what the installer says.  He may be super cautious because of a warranty issue.  My builder was a doll and cleaned up everything constantly.  Worth his weight in gold. 

Esteemed Contributor

@patticakes We put Pergo downstairs in our rec-room, hall, and extra kitchen area at least 12 years ago. Cats, dogs, litter box, in and out from outside and it still looks brand new. Do NOT use a steam mop. Heat can ruin the Pergo by lifting the top layer. I vacuum (without a beater bar) and use a spin mop when needed. The one thing I would consider with any laminate flooring is the color. A darker color shows every piece of lint and dust. Good luck in your decision.

Quotes For Sunday

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein