Honored Contributor

I have a carpet cleaner with upholstery attachments.  I am thinking about cleaning my family room wing back chair and sofa cushions.  

Any thoughts?  Yes I can hire it done but if I can do it my self I would rather.

Esteemed Contributor

I do this all the time. You didn't mention iwhat brand you have. I have Bissell.I have had Hoover and it worked well but not as good as the Bissell. Two important things to remember is first use uphlosetry  cleaner and two do not over soak the item. It is better to have to go over it again than soak it and dry to get it to dry. You can develop some furniture odars that will not disappear with an item that is soaked (depending on the type of stuffing that is used. 

I also pre treat any stains or problem areas withthe proper pre treat item. Gravy or other condiments  are usually the ones that require this additional attention.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll do fine.  

Honored Contributor

I would test an area of the upholstery that can't be seen to be safe.

We use a company like Zero Res(idue).  They do a great job and it dries very quickly.  

Honored Contributor

Whats to think about?  I have done  that for many years without a problem.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I used to clean my upholstery with my Rainbow vacuum attachments; it worked well.  I totally agree with making sure not to oversaturate the upholstery, especially cushions.

Be sure to slip something under the legs of any furniture that's touching carpet or flooring that could be ruined from stray water running down and pooling.

Honored Contributor

That was hubby's job and he did a good job.  

Honored Contributor

Definitely give it a try. My Bissell little green machine works well on upholstery. My sofa doesn't have dirty spots or oily type stains, but the water comes out light gray - from dust, I presume.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a Bissell and it does a great job...Just don't soak it .Do a cleaning twice if it is really disrty...

Honored Contributor

@AuntG   I don't have any stains either, I just assume that it is dirty.  I do sweep the sofa and chairs but something tells me I should really clean the furniture

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs 

Be aware that if this is the first time you have cleaned your upholstered furniture after buying it, you will be removing the factory applied scotchguard that has been protecting the fabric from stains.   

You will want to reapply scotchguard to the upholstery.  It is available in a spray can, and you want to apply this before the furniture dries.  When Stanley Steamer cleans my couch and loveseat, as soon as they are finished the cleaning process, dump the dirty water, refill the tank to start heating water for the next job, they come back in with a portable sprayer and spray the scotchguard fabric protector onto the furniture.