Honored Contributor

Claiming a victory over old stuff in the basement

[ Edited ]

We have a spring cleanup here in the next week. (City will come by and pick up what we put out front.) We went down together and weeded out a bunch of stuff and a lot of old golf club boxes. I did hear him use the phrase, "in case someone needs it down the road". I let that go since some progress was being made to clear stuff out that needed it. Maybe next year, we can get rid of a bit more. He mentioned wanting to "rearrange and straighten" and I reminded him what we were doing. So we went ahead and I'm so pleased. He still has things he can't let go of, but it all begins with small steps.  It's better that he chose, what he wanted to get rid of and we did it as a team.

I hope others who also are clearing out or downsizing at their homes, are having success too. It just takes times and patience. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Claiming a victory over old stuff in the basement

That is great. I wish I could get my hubby to do more in the shed/shop. He did a bit, more needs to be done, but as you said...small steps.
"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

@qualitygal  Good for you both!  When I moved from a mobile home to a 3 bedroom condo 25 years ago, I didn't even have enough stuff to complete all the rooms, and I had left my old furniture and bought all new things for the new place.  Now, after all these years I kind of wish I could go back to that day.  I try to recycle things, but sometimes it's just easier to put something away, thinking you'll need it later.

Eleven years ago we had an awful 10" rain in 24-hours that caused a huge area sewer backup.  I won't give you the gory details of the cleanup, but I sure got rid of a lot of stuff in the basement!  I keep telling myself when I retire I'll have the time and incentive to tear through this place like a tornado.  I'd hate to be like my dear next door neighbor who left tons of stuff for her family to clean out after her passing!

Laura loves cats!
Super Contributor

Good luck with cleaning out .... I do not keep anything... i was

raised with hoarder and cannot stand when things start to

pile up and get dis-organized .....out of five siblings only 2

ended up to be hoarders themselves... Example ... a 60 year

old brother who still has his clothes from junior high school....

I think my husband would be more of a keeper if I were not

the opposite ....

Have I ever gotten rid of something and regretted it .. of courrse...

got rid of something and did not realize my most prized possesion

from childhood was inside ....well you can't have it both ways ....

Super Contributor

And just so I don't get slammed ....i do not judge how other

people do things ....

Respected Contributor

Good for you to clean out your basement. My mother is a hoarder and I have been traveling to take care of her very few weeks. I throw out things to the curb without her seeing as she has dementia. The basement is full of so much stuff. Right now I am getting rid of garbage. Other things I will sell later on. My house is the opposite of hers. I am organized and live with minimal stuff. I do love my holiday decor items though but that is stored in our basement on shelves labeled. 

Esteemed Contributor

That's my life now. Just moved from a lake home where we raised our children to a newer, smaller, maintenance-provided patio home. Love it. I have no problem with less room as I've streamlined over the past 10 years. Husband is struggling. Hasn't streamlined and had a lot of junk. I kept humming the Sanford & Son TV theme song to him as he agonized over parting with said junk. Big garage sale will help finance an upcoming vacation. Many trips to the local dump. I know there's a nicer word for that, but I'm going to call it dump. Gave furniture away to local agencies. I feel great about everything. He's overwhelmed. Doesn't want to go through that again. I hope his memory is long! Feels good to travel through life lighter.   

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@qualitygal

My Hero!!!!

My basement is the worst! I go through, and I get rid of things down there (and everything down there is good stuff, no broken things, trash or worn out stuff), but somehow, I seem to carry more things down from other places in the house! 

Seems that cleaning out and reducing the volume of 'stuff' in this house is a never ending job. I know the key is to totally stop buying and bringing things in. That alone would be a victory for me!!!

Honored Contributor

2 years ago we retired and moved. That forced us to downsize from a 2,200 sq. ft home to a 1,800 without a basement! Yikes! We aren't hoarders by any means but I really had to get rid of a lot of stuff. Thank goodness our crawlspace is one that is 4ft tall, paved, with storage shelves my dh installed throughout. At least I have someplace to keep "stuff". I don't miss anything I don't have now so I guess I didn't need them in the first place. 

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

We don't have a basement, but we do have a large garage - it's pretty organized, and yes, I can park (and do park) in there, but it's time to re-straighten things.

Last weekend we took a bunch of junk to the landfill that had accumulated over the winter.

DH keeps book collections in boxes.  I'd love for him to get rid of some, but they hold value for him.  At least they're boxed and on shelving (and in the guest bedroom behind the bed . . .).

I really can't talk, though.  I have lots of dishware, clothes, and jewelry.  And knick knacks.  I just found my hummingbird feeder in the back of the pantry - I'd ordered a replacement part for it and when the part came I couldn't find the feeder, so I ordered another! Now I have two.

Enjoy the weekend, all.  May rain here today - good for cleaning closets!

Cogito ergo sum