Honored Contributor

Choosing kitchen appliance colors

Another post about the possible kitchen remodel.

What have you done, or seen done, in kitchens with cream/ivory cabinets concerning the color of appliances (stove refrigerator), that you like or that you don't like?

My current appliances are white. The fridge desperately needs replaced shortly after we do the remodel (IF we do it), and the stove will eventually. 

I think I want a bisque (ivory, cream almond), I don't think the white will look all that good, I don't like black or stainless. Is there an option I haven't thought of? 

Honored Contributor

Re: Choosing kitchen appliance colors

I don't think almond, cream ivory or bisque appliances are available anymore.  I had that color in my kitchen and had to choose a different color as they needed replaced.

There are two new colors called black stainless and slate in addition to white, black and stainless.

Your options are limited with when you have white/ cream cabinets and you don't like the dark appliances or stainless steel.

Respected Contributor

The only suggestion I have is that before you make any decision on color, visit a kitchen remodel store/business and take a good look at the kitchen floor models/decor.  They have dozens of ideas on color of cabines and appliances.  You might be pleasantly surprised that something you've never considered is just what you'd like.

Having a set idea of a color that you may like may set up a serious barrier in your remodel plans.  They may no longer make appliances in the colors you have your heart set on and they don't change appliance colors that often.   

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio 

Besides bisque, had you thought about bronze?

Whirlpool makes a lighter bronze called "Sunset Bronze." 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio , I agree with what @RoughDraft  said.  Make a trip to the store and have a look.  I just bought a new black fridge.  The finish on the new appliances is different.  They don’t show fingerprints easily anymore.

A work of caution in going anything but white...they may not carry the color for long.  There was not that many black appliances but I was able to find the color in the brand I wanted.

Good luck to all looking for new appliances.  LM

Respected Contributor

You mentioned you did not want black or stainless. 

I still think stainless goes best in any kitchen look one can dream up.

No color competition.

Clean look.

Colors seem to come and go often,  except for black and white.

Black to me though  is best saved for the larger and brighter kitchen.

Now, if the cabinets are creamy white, you could stick with white and do a more white on white look. Pulling in more color thru towels, rugs, wall decor. Also, perhaps painting a wall or two a color that complements everything nicely, or even say just above the cabinets if there is bare wall up there, or the back wall between the counter and upper cabinets if it is not entirely done in tilework or something else. Or, any combination of these.

Good luck with making a decision! 🙂 Have fun with it, make it yours!

-Texas Hill Country-
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio : try to keep an open mind when developing your color palette. Even cream colored cabinets are not as easy to come by today and the glaze may add significantly to the cost of your new cabinets.

My white cabinets and SS appliances sounded so " cookie cutter", but that palette allowed me greater freedom to choose stunning stone counter tops and backsplash tile as well as paint color.

In addition, bronze or black stainless appliances will also likely come with an up-charge for the finish over SS. Many new appliances come with a finish that's not really stainless. The surfaces are easier to clean and don't show fingerprints.

As you can see, the planning/ research stages for a full kitchen reno take a significant amount of time! You may have found your house faster- I did!

Budget will certainly dictate most of your choices, especially the big ticket item cabinets.

Honored Contributor

Personally, I'd do stainless.  Since you don't like that you can look into panels for the fridge and dishwasher.  They would be the same material as your cabinets.  You would then still have to choose a range.  Could you live with a stainless steel range?

Forgot to mention, your sink should match/coordinate with your appliances.

Also, someone mentioned bronze appliances (which I have never seen, but imagine I would like too), just keep in mind resale desirability should you decide to move.

Honored Contributor

Personally, I prefer stainless or white.

A lot of people don't like stainless because they feel it looks cold or industrial.  I don't feel that way.

If stainless is not an option, I would rather see white than black or almond.  Almond is extremely dated and I'm not sure what's even available in almond now.  Black to me is too dark.  I like light and bright kitchens.

Another important factor is having appliances that match.  I know sometimes it can't be avoided when you're replacing one at a time - but I think having matching appliances makes a kitchen look modern and clean to the eye. 

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I don't think almond, cream ivory or bisque appliances are available anymore.  I had that color in my kitchen and had to choose a different color as they needed replaced.

There are two new colors called black stainless and slate in addition to white, black and stainless.

Your options are limited with when you have white/ cream cabinets and you don't like the dark appliances or stainless steel.

@Carmie 

There are more ivory/bisque appliances out there than I thought, they just aren't in the showrooms or on the floor at the big box stores. I have found them online. Admittedly, the selection is slim, but they do exist, and lucky for me, I can wait till I find what I want, as my white ones are still in usable condition. Perhaps they will make a comeback! LOL