Honored Contributor

Choosing houseplant pots and outdoor planters

I realize that I am extremely choosy about picking out pots for my houseplants and also planters for outside plants.

There are colors that I literally scour stores and online for and, of course, size matters!

I prefer colors that compliment my interior decor, but also the plant itself.

Same goes for outside planters, they have to look really good against the backdrop of either the house or yards.

There are two particular colors for houseplants I'm always searching for and have viewed online thousands (yes, thousands), but have never found exactly what I needed.

I have more luck in garden boutiques as opposed to big box stores and can't tell you how many times I've kicked myself I didn't buy more than one when I found something that *worked*.

That's the bottom line, finding one that just *works* perfectly for the plant and the placement of the plant.

Respected Contributor

Re: Choosing houseplant pots and outdoor planters

@Lucky Charm I agree!  I'm completely with you on this.  It can be a very time consuming search. 

Trusted Contributor

I'm the same way.  I usually cannot find what I am looking for and then have to "settle" for second best because I get so tired of looking.

I am currently looking for a lamp to replace one that I have.  I've been looking everywhere for 2 years now and I want something "different" but just can't find anything I like.  They all look the same after awhile.  Maybe they will come out with something new next year...

Honored Contributor

@DottieBlue wrote:

I'm the same way.  I usually cannot find what I am looking for and then have to "settle" for second best because I get so tired of looking.

I am currently looking for a lamp to replace one that I have.  I've been looking everywhere for 2 years now and I want something "different" but just can't find anything I like.  They all look the same after awhile.  Maybe they will come out with something new next year...

@DottieBlue 

That's so funny, I started a thread about 3 years ago titled something like 'Looking for that perfect lamp'. 

Got many recommendations for places to look and I had been and in fact, many of those online sites are where I'm now looking for the perfect planters!

Esteemed Contributor

Yep.  Sometimes I'll console myself with something on sale at a great price - at least if I can't get the exact  thing I'm looking for, I got a great deal!

I really enjoy managing my pots so that as one needs to be re-potted, it can go up into something, say, that held a seasonal annual so it is now empty - etc etc.

I've got a salvia that I am going to overwinter in a pot that has recently been vacated by some volunteer trees and perennials.  The pot the salvia is now in will be held in reserve for some other porch plant, next  spring (this pot I've had for 20 years).

Cogito ergo sum