Super Contributor

Re: Choosing WHITE wall color

Those are some REALLY good deals at Bloomingdales.  Very nice merch.

Trusted Contributor

Benjamin Moore has a wide range of whites and I recommend you use their online color selection tool then go to the paint store to get/see samples of those that interest you.

A few that work might be:

Bavarian Cream

Mascarpone

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

@granddi,  "Simply White" by Benjamin Moore, is a "warm" white that is still very definitely white.  Designer favorite.  

I agree with @jcash  that "Navajo White" is a creamy white that looks good with a lot of colors and undertones.

Other liveable, warm whites include "White Dove" by Benjamin Moore, and "Snow on the Mountain" by B. Moore.

I would hold up your paint chips to your existing white trim just to make sure that the undertones in your wall white don't "fight" too much with your trim white.

@Oznell  I agree White Dove is a great color.  To me Navajo white is a little pinkish maybe.  And I think a little darker than what the OP might be thinking.  Our den was that color in the 1960's as I remember.  

Respected Contributor

@granddi   There is a fabulous website called Samplize.  They sell samples that are a large size:  12x12,  they stick to the wall and peel off.  It gives you a far better idea than those small paint chips.  They use the actual paint from Benjamin Moore, Sherwin Wlliams, Farrow & Ball and Home Depot.  Once you narrow down the colors you think you would like, place your order.  I think they are about $5.00 each.  Well worth it, much better and easier than buying the small samples to paint on your wall.  The other part is you can move them just above your trim to see if it works or near a window to see how the light effects it.  For me, it's well worth the $15.00 or $20.00 for the three or four samples.  No mess, no fuss!

Honored Contributor

@granddi One of the most beauitful whites I have ever seen is "Dover White" by Sherwin Williams.  No gray.

It's just a really pretty French vanilla.  We did our entire house in it.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG wrote:

@granddi One of the most beauitful whites I have ever seen is "Dover White" by Sherwin Williams.  No gray.

It's just a really pretty French vanilla.  We did our entire house in it.

For some reason we shop paints at Sherwin Williams so thanks for the suggestion. I went this AM to BMoore and got samples of those recommended.

Trusted Contributor

The white paint on walls of my main rooms is Ben Moore's Mascarpone, which another poster mentioned. It has the very slight yellow undertone that you want without reading yellow on the walls. Very soft. Looks great in all lights, never dirty white. My neighbor has Navajo White on her walls, and it does have a very slight pinkish hue to it, so be careful with that one. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Gosh, I'm no help. Don't think I've ever had a truly white wall other than in a rental. I did have an off-white living room once, but even that was really a ultra pale shade of lilac, so pale that it more or less read as a shade of white, even though it wasn't...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I've purchased small pints of paint, and painted the paint onto white computer paper sheets.  

Moved the painted paper sheet around, just to see the color on whatever room's walls, etc.

Hang the painted paper on the wall for a cople of days.  

I like pure base white in certain, darker rooms that need more light.  Pure white 'brightens' dull/darker rooms, imo.

The color of drapes/curtains/carpeting of choice reflect onto pure white walls. 

The best of luck in finding your perfect white! 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

There are so many shades of 'white' and ivory, that it can be quite overwhelming to choose one, especially if mixing with a true white trim like you describe. 

I personally like 'white' walls more than most. Not everywhere, and not all the time, but I think they make a room look bigger, light, open and clean. 

My only advice is buy lots of samples and paint them on the walls near the trim, you will see things much differently than little swatches, and I always stay clear of flat paint, it never cleans well. Some satins I've used are just as bad, and very disappointing. I found one satin that I used on some interior doors, and I fell in love with the feel, the look, the cleanability.....but I can't remember what it is, or where I got it.