Respected Contributor

My room has white trim (door, windows, baseboards).

I would like to paint the walls white.

Since the trim is glossy white I'm struggling with the white walls.

I don't mind going towards yellow but prefer not towards gray.

Your thoughts or experiences.... 

Respected Contributor

Re: Choosing WHITE wall color

There are hundreds of shades of white.  Get a white that has a hint of whatever color matches your bedspread or accent color.   Go to a paint store and pick up something that speaks to you.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Super Contributor

If, you have a Pottery Barn near you, they sell paint. Take a picture of the room and ask if one of their store designer's could suggest a color. PB website has details.

Esteemed Contributor

I pick up those paint swatch strips (about 3 at time) and tape them to the wall. I stare at them during the different times of the day and night to see how the color looks in the different lights. That works for me. 

There are times when I make multiple trips.

Frequent Contributor

navajo white is always a good goto white.  Been around for a long time.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

For me white walls are too cold.  I always prefer something softer... ivory, off white, or light beige.  I compare the two to a white LED lightbulb to a soft incandescent.  Big difference.  

Honored Contributor

A good neutral white is Benjamin Moore 01 White.  It is not mixed at the store, it's made at the factory so it will always match when you buy a new can, even 10 years later.

I did all of my trim, doors and plantation shutters in 01 White so that it wouldn't matter when I change paint color later on (specifically for the shutters which would not be repainted).

I used Decorator's White on the hallway walls as well as inside all the closets as it's a very bright white (almost too bright for the hallways if I'm being honest).  It leans cool, so you might not like that.  But it is perfect for inside closets.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@granddi,  "Simply White" by Benjamin Moore, is a "warm" white that is still very definitely white.  Designer favorite.  

I agree with @jcash  that "Navajo White" is a creamy white that looks good with a lot of colors and undertones.

Other liveable, warm whites include "White Dove" by Benjamin Moore, and "Snow on the Mountain" by B. Moore.

I would hold up your paint chips to your existing white trim just to make sure that the undertones in your wall white don't "fight" too much with your trim white.

Respected Contributor

Thanks to yall.

I sometimes check out Restoration Hardware for paint ideas. They have a pale yellow that I have used. 

This white room is not large. 

Off topic: I was searching for a particular Ralph Lauren bedding group. I tried the usual Macys, Dillards and then thought about Bloomingdales. Wow did I score. 40% off with additional 20% entire order. I think this sale has ended. 

Frequent Contributor

@granddi wrote:

Thanks to yall.

I sometimes check out Restoration Hardware for paint ideas. They have a pale yellow that I have used. 

This white room is not large. 

Off topic: I was searching for a particular Ralph Lauren bedding group. I tried the usual Macys, Dillards and then thought about Bloomingdales. Wow did I score. 40% off with additional 20% entire order. I think this sale has ended. 

Thank you for that.  I will check that out.  That's a really good deal for Bloomingdales.