Honored Contributor

Chipmunk in My Townhouse

[ Edited ]

A chipmunk scampered into the townhouse I rent as I opened the door to rush out to work.  I had to close & lock the door and be on my way, but now I have the charming task of finding it when I come home this afternoon!

Other than calling the maintenance crew, is there a humane way of catching it???   I have zero expereience with any garden critters or wildlife except Ooooing and Ahhhhing at how cute they are -- outdoors!  

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Chipmunk in My Townhouse

[ Edited ]

Have a Heart traps (sold at Home Depot and Lowe's) are effective- I had a squirrel i n my house once. I ultimately neeeded to use a rat trap though. Woman Sad They're cute outside but NASTY (& destructive) inside! 

Honored Contributor

@Ibby114 wrote:

Have a Heart traps (sold at Home Depot and Lowe's) are effective- I had a squirrel i n my house once. I ultimately neeeded to use a rat trap though. Woman Sad They're cute outside but NASTY (& destructive) inside! 

Yikes!  Will do.  Thank you so much @Ibby114 

Esteemed Contributor

@Caaareful Shopper wrote:

@Ibby114 wrote:

Yikes!  Will do.  Thank you so much @Ibby114 

When I was trying to be humane it lunged at me- I remember it like it was yesterday! Maybe your landlord would have suggestions too?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sounds like a title of a new Disney movie!

Seriously, call your local Animal Control or Animal Services.

They should get someone over quickly w/ a trap.

I just recently called my Animal Services to inquire about adoption hours and one of the push button options was "if a small rodent is inside your home, press '3'", so I know it's an option.  

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Sounds like a title of a new Disney movie!

Seriously, call your local Animal Control or Animal Services.

They should get someone over quickly w/ a trap.

I just recently called my Animal Services to inquire about adoption hours and one of the push button options was "if a small rodent is inside your home, press '3'", so I know it's an option.  

Whoa, a prompt for this?  Yes.  I will call the management office of the development I live in and ask them to either use their expertise, or call Animal Services.  Thank you!

(I went back and read my title of my thread, and had to laugh myself.  It wasn't funny when I wrote it, but now it does sound like a Disney movie Smiley Happy)

Honored Contributor

Thank you all for your suggestions.  I'm on it now.

Trusted Contributor

He was probably looking for his pillow in your house!

Honored Contributor

Borrow a friend's cat? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I had a raccoon stuck in my chimney at my last house.  I kept complaining about the doors on the fireplace and how I was going to remove them.  Luckily they were on because that's what kept him from getting out.  A company came and got him out.  I probably wouldn't have known, but the cats were acting weird and I heard them growling.