Respected Contributor

Re: Chinoiserie Sea Vignette

@godi   It's pronounced shin-WA-zerie. (Accent on the second syllable.)

Respected Contributor

Fresh, simple, and summery -- but that tray has gotta go.

Honored Contributor

Very pretty summer "tablescape".   I've always liked the way cool blue-and-white ware look contrasted with warmer sandy colors, like those in the starfish and shells.

Reminds me of the way some Brits in their country houses will have all their gorgeous blue and white Canton china in a room with a tawny, simple rush or sisal matting.  Effective.

AND, this display follows the "coffee table rule" of having a variety of materials all grouped together-- in this case, wood, glass, silver, ceramic, shells (something organic), and a book.  Keeps things interesting.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sometimes its difficult to review something when strong personal preferences interfere with objectivity.

I'm a statement decorator...large single pieces that stand out.  Not sure what's going on here.  It looks like the tray is sitting on a colonial door with a railing...see the pattern in the wood.  What is that?  A side table?  For me the overall effect depends on where this tray is placed.    

Never thought clustering small items together like this with or without a tray was good design, but I know it's widely used, so who am I to say. 

While I like Chinoiserie, I think all of these small pieces together on a tray make an uninteresting statement.  

Rating: D

Trusted Contributor

For me, it's all about the shells.  I'd rather see them in a more open design - not a fan of the dome, nor the blue/white design.

Esteemed Contributor

The dark brown tray ruins it all 😢

Honored Contributor

It's hard to go wrong with blue and white, which, for me, is a look of it's own and one I don't necessarily associate with an 'Asian' aesthetic, even when the pieces are clearly intended to look Asian inspired. That said, I can do nicely without Chinoiserie and pretty much all Asian vibes, and can do nicely without seashells and most other 'coastal' vibes...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

I find this collection very appealing. Love the colors and the beachy items.

Honored Contributor

I like the cloche.  I don't care for anything else.  

Esteemed Contributor

Love it!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown