Respected Contributor

Cheapest place to buy moving boxes and supplies?

WOW, we're moving...and it came out of the blue!!! We haven't moved in 20+ years and all our previous moves were handled by a professional moving company and paid for by my husband's employer. So, I've never paid much attention to any of it before. Now, hubby and I have to pack and move most of it ourselves...and we have a ton of stuff! Does anyone know the cheapest place to purchase moving supplies? I live in a smaller city so I won't have the choices of those of you who live in larger metropolitan areas, but I would appreciate any thoughts.

And no doubt an upcoming question from me will be how to let go of all this stuff I've accumulated over 30 years of marriage. It's insane how much I have. I've never had a garage sale or let go of anything! I think I'm going to need professional help......or at the very least, some anti anxiety meds. Ha!

Thanks for any HELP!

Honored Contributor

Re: Cheapest place to buy moving boxes and supplies?

When we moved 10 or so years ago we bought all of the supplies on line at a moving supply company

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Frequent Contributor

The movers in my small town charge big bucks for boxes. Of course, boxes that businesses get their copier paper in are the very best if you have access to that. I was told you can go to Wal-Mart and the people stocking shelves will give you clean boxes. You can also buy boxes for moving at Lowe's. Be careful to not bring home bugs in any boxes. Good luck on your move.

Occasional Contributor

I moved 2 years ago and before I packed- I donated tons of items to Goodwill, local Humane shelter and Veterans shelters. I found most of my boxes from the grocery stores and place of work. If you need bubble wrap, I found the cheapest place was Staples or Office Depot, the items at these "moving" places are through the roof !! You can do better if you shop around, I would also consider have a few yard sales or find family members and have a multi family yard sale.

If I didn't use the items in the past 3-4 years it was gone.........30 years is quite a lot of stuff, good luck in reducing your treasures !!

Silver

Super Contributor

You can order boxes and supplies from UHaul online and they will deliver it all right to you. I highly recommend the wardrobe boxes in particular....they are not inexpensive, but they are worth every penny and are sturdy and can be reused. If you and your husband are doing it yourself, again I recommend UHaul...you can also hire people to physically load and unload the truck - you pack the boxes, they load and unload it for you. I have done this in the past (and will be doing it again next month for a big move) - it is very, very reasonable and I was very satisfied. This is probably the least expensive way to move, unless you want to load and unload the truck yourself...ugh. For me, that is always the most difficult part. Good Luck!

p.s. PURGE!!!!! Use this as a time to go through everything and get rid of whatever you can. You will be amazed at how liberating that in itself is!

Respected Contributor

As you work, have 4 piles or boxes:

TRASH

DONATE

KEEP

GIVE TO FRIENDS/NEIGHBORS OR WHOEVER

Respected Contributor

We get boxes for free from grocery and liquor stores. The liquor store boxes are great because they're typically heavier.

Respected Contributor

I don't know where you live, but if you live near a military installation, you can check their newspaper or craig's list for people selling their moving boxes. Also, you can do a combination of purchases boxes for your most precious items, and then talk to your local grocery store and ask if you can start picking up their boxes. The boxes that eggs are packed in are extra sturdy and have hand holes on the sides making them easy to carry.

Esteemed Contributor

Having moved a LOT, local and long distance I would say do your clean, purge and donate, first.

Choose one room at a time and start there.

See if there is a Freecycle near you for items you want to donate and others can use. You can list furniture, appliances, etc. There is a women's shelter in my area that accepts donations of this type as well to assist women in a fresh start on life.

You can order boxes on line from UHaul. This is what I use to pack and move because they have so many specialty boxes. I don't care for the hassle of going store to store to find used boxes and bring home the little critters that may be lurking.

Congrats & best wishes as you head for new adventures!!

Frequent Contributor

We are packing and waiting for our house to sell, been in this house for 17 years got ALL my boxes from walmart and kmart was always stalking the aisles for shelf stockers they gladly give you boxes don't buy boxes, thats crazy. Also talk to manager at grocery store you shop and they will save some but not for long, my store said to be there certain time if not they was gone. Belong to costco??????? the apple boxes are wonderful they will give you all you want sturdy, with handle grips, they loaded up hubbys pickup and was more than helpful. Once you start donating throwing away it gets easy and feels good to get rid of unneccassary "stuff" good luck! its not easy hopefully will be over for all of us someday.