Respected Contributor

Does anyone here have any reviews on Chalk Paint?  Annie Sloan is not widely available in my area but I now see there are MANY different brands that are dupes of Annie Sloan.

Has anyone tried any of these dupes.  Some of the new brands are MORE expensive than Sloan's if you can believe that!

TIA

Honored Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

Does anyone here have any reviews on Chalk Paint?  Annie Sloan is not widely available in my area but I now see there are MANY different brands that are dupes of Annie Sloan.

Has anyone tried any of these dupes.  Some of the new brands are MORE expensive than Sloan's if you can believe that!

TIA

@Abrowneyegirl Thank you for posting and looking forward to reading some replies.......

Super Contributor

Re: Chalk paint reviews

[ Edited ]

I can't speak for the store bought stuff, but I make a version for my nieces to use on the concrete driveway that is cheap, non-toxic, biodegradable, bright, and washes away easily.

Mix 1 cup corn starch with 2 cups water, liquid food coloring. 

Stir well, then paint. The water evaporates, leaving the colored starch. Stir often as you paint. It'll come right off with a nozzle attached hose. 

Edit: or did you mean craft paint? In that case. Nevermind. 😊

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the posting - I too am curious if someone can explain what chalk paint is and if there is a special way of applying this. 

Honored Contributor

I ordered the Annie Sloan paint through one of her dealers. It was mailed to me. This had to be at least five or more years ago when it wasn't as well known.

i have read there are many places to buy other brands and have heard they are good.

I like it because there is no prep, sanding, stripping, etc. Did my dining room table and also distressed parts of it. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Chalk paint reviews

[ Edited ]

I bought some at Home Depot - can't tell you the brand name though. It was much cheaper than Anne Sloan and worked very well on my project which was painting a brass lamp.

Regular Contributor

I have tried a few dupes and they are NOT up to quality of Annie Sloan. Try buying online - search purple painted lady. That's where I get mine when I can't make the hour drive to the closest store to me that sells it.

Respected Contributor

@J9 wrote:

I have tried a few dupes and they are NOT up to quality of Annie Sloan. Try buying online - search purple painted lady. That's where I get mine when I can't make the hour drive to the closest store to me that sells it.

Have you tried Amy Howard at Ace True Value?  I have heard a lot of great things.

Regular Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

@J9 wrote:

Have you tried Amy Howard at Ace True Value?  I have heard a lot of great things.

That one I have not. I honestly gave up on dupes after a while because of the bad experiences. I've tried the ones at Michael's, Lowe's, and Home Depot. Debating on trying Miss Mustard Seed, but that's just as expensive as Annie Sloan. It just covers so well - even in one coat. One can lasts me forever.