Esteemed Contributor

I love ceiling fans! They were essential when I lived in the High Desert ( along with Swamp Coolers-- much less expensive than AC).  Also love them living in the mountains; great air circulation, don't usually need my AC ( but glad we have it, when we need it).

Esteemed Contributor

Years ago we had ceiling fans in the kitchen, family room and bedrooms.  Over the years we have removed them all, with the exception of the kitchen.  I hate to feel air blowing on me, so the bedroom fan was never used.  It turned out that we never used the fan in the family room either (central AC) and it looked dated to my eye.  So that one went bye bye.  I kept the fan in the kitchen because that's the only one I actually use. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor
We live on the Bay and love our ceiling fans. It gets humid here and these fans keep the air moving and give the AC a break. My husband and I both like moving air and wouldn’t be without them. The only time they are not on is this time of year when it is very cold.
Honored Contributor

I daresay most of us who like our ceiling fans also have central air. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I live where it gets extremely hot, and there are ceiling fans in most rooms in my house. I don't think they help. I think they push the hot air down and blow dust around. I never have them on. I refused to have any ceiling fans in the new house I'm building. But, to each their own.

Trusted Contributor

Ceiling fans are a must in our climate, especially during the very hot summers. I can't imagine not having them, especially in our bedroom at night....they keep you comfortable so you can sleep. I don't know anyone here in Texas who doesn't have at least one ceiling fan....you can get them in almost any style or color to blend or accent your decor. One of my favorites at my brother's lake house is one that uses antique windmill blades...

Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily wrote:

I live where it gets extremely hot, and there are ceiling fans in most rooms in my house. I don't think they help. I think they push the hot air down and blow dust around. I never have them on. I refused to have any ceiling fans in the new house I'm building. But, to each their own.

@Desert Lily    Ceiling fans push air down when they're set on reverse which people use in winter for the warm air that rises.  Perhaps your fans are set wrong.  I can set my thermostat about 10° degrees higher and be comfortable in summer.  Saves on the electric bill.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

We have ceiling fans in every room. We use them summer and winter. Drives me absolutely crazy when watching re-do shows and they take out the bedroom ceiling fan and replace it with a light? Ummm no way! 

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

When we downsized a few years ago to our townhouse we added ceiling fans as it did not have any!  For me, I cannot live without ceiling fans, no way.......they absolutely help circulate the air and help the house stay cool or warm, depending on the season.   I have slept with a ceiling fan since I was young and I cannot sleep without one.   My DH said to me once, hon, it's 4 degrees, do you really need the ceiling fan on?    My response, there is a spare bedroom....LOL!

Valued Contributor
Personally I think they make homes look dated. I do however see the benefits if it helps w heating/cooling costs in your climate!! Savings count for a lot! Or don't care what others think & like the look!