Esteemed Contributor

Re: Catherine Zeta-Jones Coming to QVC

I'm sure celebrities don't pay to have a line of clothes; linen, etc. They're not busy in the factory checking out products. Companies pursue certain celebrities who become the FACE of the product. Just like certain famous athletes promote tennis shoes, shirts, etc. Companies match products with whoever they feel can sell it. 

Honored Contributor

I'm not a big fan of celebrity lines of anything, overall, but agree it makes sense to see what she brings. I like CZJ, which is also a factor, in that many celebrities who stick their name on virtually everything don't interest me at all. I do wonder about the potential success of this line. I remember when Issac started on QVC and while he wasn't an actual 'celebrity', they were touting him as offering a 'lifestyle' brand sort of a la Ralph Lauren. They had him hawking everything for the home, along with his fashions... The only thing remaining are the fashions... Clearly, the home goods didn't make the cut...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@kivah wrote:

I'm sure celebrities don't pay to have a line of clothes; linen, etc. They're not busy in the factory checking out products. Companies pursue certain celebrities who become the FACE of the product. Just like certain famous athletes promote tennis shoes, shirts, etc. Companies match products with whoever they feel can sell it. 

@kivah  They call them talking heads. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I will wait to see her line and how much she appears to really know about it.  The QVC Brass seems to be enamored with these celebrity endorsements, but the problem is the customers don't feel the same way.  The majority of the celebrity lines don't seem to sell well and quickly everything is on clearance and they disappear..............The only exceptions are Joan Rivers and Ellen and one I don't understand how it's lasted is Lisa Rinna's line.....And I wonder how well the ED line is doing.....lots of leftover stuff on the Christmas In July show and nothing new..........

And QVC also added Suzanne Somers too.....will those Execs ever listen to what the customers like..........Woman Frustrated

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@TenderMercies wrote:

@Bri36 wrote:

Celebrity home lines really don't do that well on QVC. 

That must be why QVC keeps bringing celebrity home lines to the network.  

@TenderMercies

And perhaps thats why QVC's revenues keep declining......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Another middle aged celebrity who has aged out in Hollywood being paid to hawk some stuff on a shopping channel.  It's a sad but common story now.  

Honored Contributor

I'm all willing to give ANY 'home goods' line a try. 

But I was excited about the ED line, which I never watch anymore or have any interests in,  and suspect this will turn out the same for me. 

If this is just another line of products made by the same companies that Q already uses, but places a celeb name on and marks up the price (which is already being done with Berkshire, Santa's Best, Nest etc.), then I see no point, and feel Q doesn't get what we are looking for.

We are looking for new. We are looking for quality. We are looking for things to be manufactured in places where quality matters. We are looking for a variety of styles and designs. 

What we aren't looking for are celebs that just tack their name on things already out there everywhere and mark up the price, or claim to 'design' things, but really just look at what the manufacturer is offering, and pick out a color or a pattern and call it 'designing'.

If the linens are made in Portugal, I might get excited. If the home furnishings aren't all looking like some modern geometric stuff I can find anywhere right now, I might get excited.

I'll reserve my vote until at least the first program airs, but honestly, this woman has never been on my radar (yes, I do know who she is), so I don't really know what to expect in her 'style'. Anxious to see the first program.

Respected Contributor

I just hope that they have a host that does not fawn, worship and go all ga-ga over this "celebrity" guest like some do (not to name names, but I think you all know who I mean!).  It is embarrassing and demeaning to watch.  They are only people for heaven's sake, not gods.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@haddon9 wrote:

I also feel that our culture worships celebs way too much!

@haddon9 - I so agree with you! 

I like her. What I would like to see is a celebrity who actually DESIGNS the fashions/home furnishings. I don't care if they are made overseas, as long as the celebrity comes up with the idea and design, and doesn't just slap his/her name on a line and promote it. IDK how we know this, but I do know some designers on QVC are the actual designers of the items that have their name on them! Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I am also weary of products being sold and peddled to viewers because a celeb is connected to the name  I can't imagine buying an item just because "so and so" said it was great!!  I don't think too many of those celeb inspired products stay around very long.