Frequent Contributor

Getting ready to replace some wall to wall carpeting in my house.  I have 4 cats and 2 of them delight in sharpening their claws in the carpet.  And yes, they have scratching posts and all sorts of things that they could use.  The current carpet has so many pulls in it probably because it is a more tightly woven material. Carpet place is suggesting Mohawk Aladdin Everstrand, which is a very soft kind of plush material. (It is supposed to be made from recycled plastic bottles). Anyone have experience with this carpeting or have recommendations for cat friendly carpeting?

Honored Contributor

Re: Carpeting with cats in mind

I don't have any carpet suggestions for you, although I do have a cat, thankfully he leaves the carpeting alone.  

My suggestion is that you may have more and better responses to your inquiry if you put your post in the "Pet Lovers" section.  There are bunches of cat people there that have all sorts of knowledge.  Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

Good luck. I've never met a cat that didn't like carpet. My five cats leave my rugs alone as - you guessed it - I have many other places for them to scratch. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have 6 cats and no carpeting whatsoever. Only tile and wood. They would destroy it in 30 seconds.

Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion. Took your advice and posted in Pet Lovers.

Esteemed Contributor

@kathybnc2  Thanks for this post.  I have had several cats in my life that never touched my carpets.  But my two year old rescue does.  Don't care about my wall to wall in the bedroom because it's shot but she has pulled my large area rug.  I always liked the look of natural fiber rugs and was wondering it I could ever get one.  Does anyone know or would the cats use it as large scratch pads.  Could you spray the rugs with that "no scratch" spray to deter them?

Frequent Contributor

I do have the spray, but it doesn't seem to have a lot of effect.  I do know that Berber is not a good choice because it is more looped.  Actually any carpet with a loop weave would not be good. They said carpet with single strands would not show pulling as much if the cats did use their claws on it.   Don't know if that helps.

Respected Contributor

My husband and I have cats but no carpet anywhere. Just wood or tile with area rugs. I would not recommend carpet, whether you have aimals or simply people running around. It harbors dirt, and there always ends up being some stain somewhere which is impossible to remove. Ick.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My next apartment home will hopefully have zero carpeting.

Been a cat parent for decades, but now just want flooring & some low-pile patterned area rugs. Woman Happy

Would also love to try those awesome carpet tiles from "Flor". 

Honored Contributor

Honestly, with that many pets, I'd give some serious consideration to a hard surface floor. That is what I am thinking about doing the next time we have the money to replace some older flooring.

Beware though, if they can't claw the carpet, they just might move on to the upholstered furniture (even with scratching posts available).