Trusted Contributor

Re: Carpeting with cats in mind

I have cats and NO carpet - hardwood and tile.

Honored Contributor

We have two cats with hardwood or tile throughout. I wouldn't get carpeting anymore if you paid me. Plus my cats love rolling their toys all over the house now!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

We have two cats with hardwood or tile throughout. I wouldn't get carpeting anymore if you paid me. Plus my cats love rolling their toys all over the house now!

It's air hockey time!  Cat Very Happy

Valued Contributor

We have 4 cats, and recently purchased two large area rugs made with the recycled bottles as mentioned in the OP.These rugs are so cushy, very pretty, and supposed to be able to take a ton of abuse.  I believe  that after receiving ours.I love them!! I have had to clean up a hairball  and the accompanying mess on this carpet already, and it was easily and completely removed with little effort.

I can't speak to the brand posted, and ours are Mohawk, and not a wall to wall rug, but I was so thrilled when our first rug came that I knew a second would follow shortly behind it! lol  Good luck with your decision! pinky

Frequent Contributor

Thanks, Pinky. That helps a lot. It sounds similar to what I am considering. Good to know that it cleans up fairly easily.  The sample does feel very soft and cushy.

Valued Contributor

Glad to be of help, Kathy. I really do love our rugs, and hope you will too. pinky

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kathybnc2 I don't know about carpeting but maybe look at it from kitty's POV.  I haven't read any other responses so maybe someone already suggested this but... SAVE a bunch of the OLD carpet!  They like to scratch on the old carpet.  Make several scratching posts out of the old carpet.  Preferably with a ratty bit that has their scent on it on each new post.  also consider making a HORIZONTAL  scratching post since they are comfortable in that position to scratch.  make it LARGE enough for kitty to lay down and strech out to scratch.  Try to get a new carpet which is NOT like your current carpet in texture.  If kitty has a favourite spot to scratch get a large piece of those clear plastic rug runner protectors.  the back side is nubbly.  put the nubby side up to cover where kitty WANTS to scratch and put the nice familiar carpet scratch right next to it.  Kitty will have to choose picking his way over the nubby's to find there's no carpet to snag anyway OR scratch on his old familiar friend in a new form.  As kitty gets used to the scratching post you can move it slowly to where you want it and begin to cut away pieces of the nubbly plastic on the new carpet day by day until it's gone.  Hopefully by then Kitty will be in the habit of using the new scratcher and leave that darned new rug alone.  

Honored Contributor

Excellent advice, @candys mineWoman Happy

Frequent Contributor

Thanks, Candy, great idea. Im definitely going to save some pieces of the old carpet for them.