Esteemed Contributor

Re: Carpet vs Wood

[ Edited ]

Vinyl floor planks are so beautiful if you don’t want really wood. Easy to far care of and scratch resistance. We only have carpet in the bedrooms. Would never go back to carpet in the great room. We have coretec LVP and it has a cork backing so there is no extra noise.

Trusted Contributor

I just purchased new carpeting for our living room and the hallway upstairs.   I'm so excited and can't wait to have it installed!

Purchased it from a local store downtown.  The service has so far been fantastic.  

It's a very light gray color, plush with a very slight high/low pattern.

So I guess you can tell what my answer is.....carpet!

Respected Contributor
All of our floors, except for the kitchen, are natural hardwood. But we have carpeting in a number of rooms for our pets. 🙂

What worries you masters you.
Respected Contributor

Definitely a vote for wood floors here. Nothing looks as beautiful as wood flooring. Carpet just doesn't compare. And there is the ease of maintenance with wood floors. Just run a broom, vacuum or dust mop  which ever you choose over the floor and done.  Damp mopping them is just as easy.  I have never understood having carpeting in the dining room. I would think it would be so much more maintenance then just wood or other non-fiber floor covering. What happens if the kids drops his food on the carpet or a guests spills wine, sauce etc. on the carpet?  It seems more maintenance to me.  But then again, when we moved into this house many moons ago, there was carpeting in the Bathroom. All the way up to the toilet! You want to talk about disgusting when we pulled it all out.  Disgusting urine stains, mildew, gross!   Noise wise, the removal of carpeting in the other rooms was not really even noticeable to me.  

Honored Contributor

I would choose hard surface flooring throughout.  Although many prefer carpeting in a bedroom, it is very difficult to move dressers and such to get under them to clean all the dust that accumulates.

I don't have carpet anywhere.  Lots of area rugs, but no wall to wall.

Respected Contributor

I have carpet and wood......really love them both. Not a fan of tile.

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

I have wood floor throughout my home (except bathrooms). I have lived in several houses, through the years, that always were carpeted. I feel that my house now is soooooo much cleaner!! I realize now how dirty my other houses were because of only vacuuming a few times a week surely didn't get up all of the dust and dirt. When I vacuum my wood floors now, I do it daily and every single day I have to empty the receptical it has so much dust, cat hair, etc. We have a few large area rugs to help softens the echo effect. 

I agree totally!  I always felt like the carpet was *holding* dust/dirt and there was no way the vacuum could pick it up no matter how many times you vacuum or how great your vacuum is.

I like the way I can swoop under tables, chairs and couches that I rarely would move to vacuum underneath.

I love hardwood.  I don't care if it shows every little speck, I want to know that so I can tackle it---not hide it---ugh---I never understood that reasoning.

Respected Contributor

In my permanent home I have oak hardwoods throughout the downstairs with area rugs in the living room and family room.  When we bought the home the floors were in bad shape since the previous owner had a dog that scratched them up.  We had them refinished and they have been very easy to take care of and look great. 

In my summer home, I picked out a dark builder's grade wood floor to save on construction costs.  I hate them.  They show every speck of dust and cat hair.  We are in the process of replacing them with a grey-toned washed floor which should be easier to maintain and looks more beachy.  However, we are having trouble finding someone willing to replace them since the original floors are glued to a concrete slab.

Esteemed Contributor

Our home had wall-to-wall carpet and we switched to hardwood.  It does create more noise.  We live in a three-level house and when we're upstairs we hear the water pipes in the basement, something we never heard before.  When my husband is walking upstairs and I’m in the room below it sounds like a herd of elephants.  The carpet did provide insulation against that.  There are pros and cons to each.

I like the look and cleanliness of hardwood, but we also have to baby it.  No shoes in the house (we leave our outside shoes in the entryway and change into our indoor shoes), we have pads under all the furniture legs, the floors tend to dent easily (something I hadn’t realized).  Sometimes I miss the softness of the carpet.  

Respected Contributor
@ Cotton4me
Thank you for frank detailed insight. I think you understand my concern with sound. Grandkids come and play while others sleeping. Stairs to bedrooms. Master on main floor but tv room below. Denting of wood brings to mind my parents wood floors and that they had “coasters” under furniture. They had them for wood and carpet.