Valued Contributor

What you might like is sort a combination of both. Get the wood or the woodlike material and then get an area rug/carpet. When needed you can roll up the carpet and have just the hardwood look.

Honored Contributor

Sorry--am a carpeting girl---have really nice stuff in bedrooms, stairs, livingroom/famiy room and am fastidious about keeping it clean---had luxury vinyl plank flooring put  in a bathroom re-do that I will use when I replace the other flooring. 

Esteemed Contributor

I live way up north and, when we built our home 40 years ago, we chose carpet. Our previous home had wood floors. We froze in winter and the dog scratched everything. We put laminate in the kitchen and it looks just like wood. I've replaced the carpet a few times over the years and have it shampooed twice a year and I'm happy with it. I'm not going to replace my carpet with wood floors just to increase the selling price of my home in the future.

Honored Contributor

Due to asthma and allergy issues, we needed to get rid of our carpet years ago, and chose laminate flooring.   We also have ceramic tile in baths, kitchen and dining, and Coretec flooring in my TV/laundry area.    

Valued Contributor

I love the look and feel of hardwood floors. My home has it throughout, and I do enjoy the warmth of a nice area rug under furniture. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Twins Mom , I would not opt for carpet again.  You know when you remove it how much dust it holds even if you are vigilant with the vacuum.

You can talk to installers about underlay for laminant.  When we installed some we put in something called 'quiet walk' which was the best available at the time.  We usually wear slippers around the house and have all hardwood, laminate and tile.  I don't find it noisy but there are no kids here.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Carpet vs Wood

[ Edited ]

@Twins Mom    IMHO I would change the dining areas to wood or wood like materials.   Much easier to keep clean.  

I have hardwood throughout my house with the exception of the kitchen, dinette, and basement where I have tile.  

@Twins Mom     Added:  I also have tile in both my bathrooms.  

Respected Contributor

I have hard wood flooring everywhere on the middle floor of my house (dining roo, living room, family room, kitchen...).  I personally prefer wood over carpet.  If worried about noise, use an area rug. 

Trusted Contributor

@Twins Mom  Wood all the way.

F/N/A luvstogarden
Honored Contributor

I have wood in all rooms except the bedrooms, with area rugs in the living room, dining room and sunroom.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~