Respected Contributor

My carpet is only 3 years old. An area in our office/workout room had some soiled spots that looked like ground in dirt or maybe blackish transfer from the treadmill belt.

I got out my Bisell little carpet cleaning machine and the areas looked pretty good for a while but not the spots have resurfaced.

These stains have rebounded in the same area and maybe worse.

The plan is to have it professionally cleaned when the shelter in place is over. Any ideas on how to DIY the cleaning for now. What products can you recommend? 

Honored Contributor

@granddi -

I have used shout it out, letting it sit, then rubbing til the stain is out, then,   rubbing out any soap, then rubbing with just water, then patting dry with clean towel. 

Of course I don't know if that would additionally or whiten or lighten your carpet. Mine is light colored so I just wanted the stain out and didn't care if it whitened it, but it didn't at all.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

There is a possibility that if carpet stains have been cleaned and resurfaced that there is a flaw in the carpet. I once had to have all the carpet in my new house replaced: family room, stairs and upstairs hallway and all five bedrooms. Of course, we had just moved in when I reported what looked like spilled coffee spots.

The treadmill and office-type rolling chairs should always be on a mat to preserve the carpet and only "house shoes" as well as paws should walk on it.

Honored Contributor

A carpet guy once told me they are called "ghost stains" because they keep coming back.  Whatever the stain was, it got into the padding and didn't come out even though the carpet stain did.  The pressure of walking on the carpet over and over again caused the stain to transfer back into the carpet from the pad (from the bottom up.)  There isn't much you can do but to treat them as they resurface.

Valued Contributor

@faeriemoon , my carpet cleaner told me the same thing.  He told me the carpet could be lifted and then he could replace the padding in that area.  Then the stain should stop reappearing. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have had good luck with the Campenelli foam spray carpet cleaner. You spray this on the stain. Let it alone tod dry and vacuum. You may have to apply a few times to stubborn stains but it works great! 

I have light colored carpeting in our family room that opens onto the patio. I have lost count of the stains that appear on this carpet that nobody knows how they got there. LOL

This foam spray has yet to disappoint me.  I hope it works as well for you.

Honored Contributor

I would have the same trouble. I would clean the spot with Resolve and in a month or so it would reappear. 

Then I bought the Hoover SpotScrubber. I guess because it cleans the carpet deeper than just spraying a spot, the spot did not come back. I am thrilled with the results.

I am not dealing with treadmill belt dirt though, just spots. Maybe that makes a difference. Maybe try cleaning the area again. 

Honored Contributor

It sounds like that stain is oil based. It will keep attracting dirt to the same spot over and over again. Try cleaning with a grease remover.  

Respected Contributor

Thanks, I just ordered Campanelli spray. 

My experience has been that Resolve did not work. 

Respected Contributor

Try Resolve carpet cleaner, the powder type if you can find it.  That will remove anything.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York