Honored Contributor

Re: Carpet or Laminate? What would you recommend?

We have wood laminate in our kitchen and dining room and I hate it as much as I love it.

When it's clean it looks as good as it did 10 years ago when we put it in but it shows every drip, drop of water and whatever else may get dropped or spilled.  Because of that I'm not sure I would ever do it again.

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

Allergies = no carpet!

You could look at cork or bamboo flooring- both are durable.

I had cork floors installed about five years ago and they have been a disaster.  My dogs have ruined them.  I did a lot of research before buying and thought they'd be bullet-proof.  They scratch easily with just the dirt and sand dogs track in.  I have two very old girls who have accidents and if I don't see it immediately or I'm away from home, it leaves a permanent stain.  I'd never get cork again.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@evelyner wrote:

We just installed tiles that look just like a wood floor.  Easy to maintain.  I  think you should look into this.  People are amazed when I tell them it is a tile.

I love the look of these wood tiles but am concerned about chipping if I drop a glass or whatever.

Esteemed Contributor

We also want to do our new house all in hard floors and have a dog. My sister who designs houses for a builder reccomends vinyl floor planks. They are most durable with a dog.

Esteemed Contributor

The nice thing about the vinyl planks also is if one does need replaced you just replace the plank that is damaged. From what she said it is waterproof also.

Honored Contributor

@patticakes....we are in the same boat at our house.  Family room, living room and up the stairs and down the hallway need replaced. Berber on stairs and in living room...I will never purchase  berber again!

We do have hardwood in the dining room and would love to put it in the living room but the dining room is parquet and I am not fond of that style any longer and I cannot put planks against parquet so I will have to do carpet.

I would like hardwood or laminate in the family room as well because the way the room is laid out I cannot rearrange furniture to change the traffic pattern...the carpet gets worn quickly in a specific area.  I am thinking hard surface then adding area rugs but we live in the midwest with very cold winters and our home is on a slab, I am afraid the room will be cold

But to address your question, where you live might make a difference (if you have cold winters) but you mention allergies....so hard surface would probably be better for your health.  My dog does have a little trouble getting around on the hardwood in the dining room....slippery.

Honored Contributor

Here is my take on things, having had wood floor, and carpeting (but no laminate).

Nothing is perfect. It all requires upkeep and work. 

I have had all styles of carpet over the years, and while berber isn't the most elegant look, it wears longer and looks better than anything else I've tried. The drawback is cleaning. I steam clean my carpeted areas twice a year, and that isn't what bothers me. It is pet accidents and spills that are a chore.

Wood. I love the look, but by the time you get area rugs on top, the cleaning process can be as or more consuming on a daily basis than just sweeping carpet. The finish on wood floors wears too, just like a carpet will, and especially with kids and dogs that will be hard on them. 

Tile, love the look, hate the hardness underfoot and the cold feel in this climate.

Never had laminate, but when I see it, it always looks cheap and imitation to me. I probably haven't seen good quality, high end product though, and I'm sure it is out there. My guess would be that it will show wear over time as well. And I'd be afraid of gouges from moving heavy items or dog nails, but as I said, don't have any true experience with it.

Honored Contributor

The laminate of today isn't like the laminate of yesterday.  We have a friend who just did laminate in his dining area and family room and it is beautiful.  I thought he did real wood.  You just have to watch the quality because some of it looks uber cheap. 

A few people I know have engineered wood.  Apparently that can be sanded and refinished once.  You'd have to look into everything else about it as I'm not sure what the pros and cons are with it.  

I still like my bedrooms, hallway and family room carpeted.  That's my personal preference.