Honored Contributor

Re: Carpet, hardwood, tile or other Which do you prefer?

Yes to all. Just depends on the room. I don’t think I would like just one type of flooring thoughout my entire house. 

We have tile in the sunroom, kitchen, & bathrooms. We have original hardwood in the foyer, living room, dining room, hall, and bedrooms. We have carpet in the finished basement. 

Super Contributor

@ID2 

Well, with  housefull of carpeting, I vacuum everyday!  With just two of us it doesn't get dirty much at all.  Of course I'm a clean freak too Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ScrapHappy 

I always had home with real oak hardwoods.  This home has carpet ...yuck

I am having all the living area rugs removed and replaced with the new LVP hardwood planks done.  We are using "LifeProof" purchased through Home Depot since it's a better grade.

I know there are many manufacturers of it but others have used this brandand very satisfied.  It's 1/3 the cost of true hardwoods and doesn't echo, or have the hollow sounds like "laminate".

You may want to look at this flooring.  We did tile in kitchen, utility room, hallway and den -- "woodlook" and now hate we have "grout" lines wish I knew about this product 2 years ago.

Respected Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@ScrapHappy 

I always had home with real oak hardwoods.  This home has carpet ...yuck

I am having all the living area rugs removed and replaced with the new LVP hardwood planks done.  We are using "LifeProof" purchased through Home Depot since it's a better grade.

I know there are many manufacturers of it but others have used this brandand very satisfied.  It's 1/3 the cost of true hardwoods and doesn't echo, or have the hollow sounds like "laminate".

You may want to look at this flooring.  We did tile in kitchen, utility room, hallway and den -- "woodlook" and now hate we have "grout" lines wish I knew about this product 2 years ago.

We've already replaced all the carpet in the bedrooms.  I've heard about the vinyl flooring.  I'd put it in the basement but what is there is fine right now.  We still have lots to do in this house.  More painting, more furniture, need 2 new driveways, one more AC unit and one more furnace...the list goes on and on.

Honored Contributor

I am over carpet.  Light colored carpet is a pain to keep clean and the edges get brown, I'm told by the steam cleaner company that it's from the air flow based on where the vents are placed (or something like that).  Dark color carpet shows every piece of lint.

I removed the last of the carpet in my home about 18 months ago.

I have hard wood on the top 2 floors and one powder room and tile in the two full bathrooms.

I put cheap vinyl in the basement as I don't use that room and I just wanted something cheap on top of the concrete that wasn't carpet.  $375 installed.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I love the look of a uniform floor throughout a house.  (Not necessarily the bathrooms.)  I think it's elegant and kind of old world.

Honored Contributor

My preference would be

Hardwood in living room and foyer

Carpet in bedrooms

Tile in bathrooms

What I have is 

Hardwood in kitchen

Carpet in living rooms and bedrooms

tile in bathrooms

If I lived at the beach or in a warm climate, it would be different, but I live in the midwest, and as much as I like Hardwood Floors, I prefer carpet in bedrooms. I don't mind getting them professionally cleaned, and I don't mind vacuuming, it is just the 2 of us here and no pets.....So pretty easy to keep clean!  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I prefer carpet in all rooms EXCEPT the kitchen and bathroom and laundry room, in these rooms I have tile..... I dont mind vacuuming, and once a year a cleaning service comes in so its nice and deep cleaned......

Everyone I know was ga-ga over hardwood and now they complain it shows every speck of dust and dirt and it scratches easily, prone to water damage. They find it more difficult to keep clean than carpet and gripe about always dusting and cleaning it

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”