Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Carpet cleaning machines, please weigh in!

I have had, for way over a decade, an Oreck carpet steam cleaner. It was the best for so many years. It started to get tired a couple of years ago, and I was excited to see Oreck still made the same thing, interchangeable parts with the old and newer ones is always a plus for us, as we use things forever. I ordered, and it was junk. Spewed water everywhere. I just figured I got a lemon. Called, and was sent out a replacement right away. New one was just as bad, and set it back as well. 

Fast forward about two years to now. I researched machines, and because of the lightweight easy to maneuver, and the large water tank, I thought I'd try Oreck one more time, maybe it was just a bad production run last time right? WRONG

New one that came this month is as bad or worse than those before. 

I have to find a carpet machine that will work. I'm looking for lightweight, large tank size (Oreck has over two gallons and I don't see that on other machines). Needs upholstery tools, needs to be easy to maneuver, and really pull the water back out of the carpet. 

Anyone have a machine that they love or a brand they can recommend. I'm at a loss and rather overwhelmed to say the least. Any help or opinions, good or bad on any brands or models would be appreciated.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Carpet cleaning machines, please weigh in!

My first carpet machine was a Kirby and then I bought an Oreck. The Oreck worked fine for years but it just to be to heavy for me to push around as often as I scrub carpets. I have dogs, kids, stuff that gets tracked in from outside, etc. 

I saw a Bissel upright spot quick clean machine for small jobs. Well, the scrub brush on the bottom of this is great. It did a great job at getting out old stains as well as the new accidents. It was easy to use, clean, fill and empty. I also purchased the full size model that has the same scrub brush bottom. Both of my Bissels have a two tank system which was important to me. You can add clean or dump dirty water as needed. The job goes faster that way for me. I've very pleased with the brand. I also like the fact that I can use any cleaner because you pour it into the machine. My Oreck had a snap on part that only Oreck cleaner would fit. I'm done with trying to find the specific cleaner for a specific brand/model.   

Honored Contributor

I had an Oreck and loved it.  I think it was dropped when I moved.  I looked for a replacement, but couldn't find one.  I ended up with a Bissell.  I got it on the q.  It's small and light weight.  It works fine.

I didn't notice it didn't have a hose for stairs.  Apparently that hose isn't a standard part.  My only advise is to make sure the new one can do everything you need it to do.

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the input. I have loved my Oreck for over a decade, and it was so long lasting for all the use we gave it. Carpets, stairs, furniture, car interiors and my mom's whole house every year, plus spot cleaning and pet cleanup when they would get sick. I just couldn't say enough good about it. And I understand how it would finally wear out. 

Three new ones, and each and every new Oreck spewed water all over. I have a very mechanically inclined husband, and he found the broken parts in each one (different parts in each one) none lasted more than a week. That is just terrible for a company that once had such good quality. I have two Oreck sweepers too, but I'm done with that company. No more of any of their products for me. 

Made in America means absolutely nothing with that company anymore.

Honored Contributor

We have a Bissel and I think it is fine. Our carpet is a very light color ecru so we do have to steam clean it at least once a year.

Esteemed Contributor

Hoover steam cleaner with rinsing feature.  Nothing with quality is going to be light as a feather - but if you want power - Hoover is your machine!

Esteemed Contributor

I have our carpeting professionally cleaned by a very good company in our area and the price is very reasonable, so I would recommend going this way...Just research very carefully and get references...I was lucky in that a couple of neighbors spoke very highly of them.

You can't do as good a job as a good professional company can...Their equipment, of course, is entirely different and, also, they are able to get the water temperature at a higher setting which is needed for a deep cleaning.

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Esteemed Contributor

I have a Hoover as well. It is for carpets and hard floors. I have a lot of tile in Kitchen, baths, laundry room and hall. I also use it on my area rugs. It is ten years old and still going strong. Love that it has two tanks...one for clean water and another for collection of dirty water. If it broke, I would buy another in a heartbeat. HTH. LM
Honored Contributor

We've had a couple Bissal's over the years. I also like the two tank system and didn't know some cleaners are made without it. Of course they do eventually need to be replaced but we've had our current one for more than 5 years. We use ours a lot. I have 3 dogs and 5 cats and one of my dogs is old and has occasional accidents and then of course there are occasional hair balls from the cats. I won't be without a carpet cleaner. We've even used it on the couch for general cleaning. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone for the input. I ordered a Bissell and got it from Kohl's specifically because of their great return policy. It got great reviews on all sites I checked, and I'm going to start there, and hope it works well.

I would love to have the house professionally cleaned on a regular basis, but the times we have done it in the past, and with various and prominent well known companies, they have left the carpets soaked, and it costs an arm and a leg.

I absolutely can't live without a home cleaner, with kid and pets, and being able to do what I want, when I want or need to. Unless we someday go carpetless, I can't imagine being without a carpet steamer.

I'll post back here with a review when it comes.