Honored Contributor

Re: Candles you don’t like

I throw them in the trash.  Who wants a used candle? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 

I don't even want an unused one.  How many people know that the smell of a candle could trigger asthma in a patient which could be detrimental and even fatal to some.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@traveler   I would never buy his candles -- artificial scents.  Check out Aroma Naturals website.  Scented with essential oils and the only candles I buy.  I also like their air mists and their newest product hand sanitizer.  I was first introduced to them from Whole Foods grocery store.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

I give away candles I don't like.  If nobody else likes them either, I throw them away.

I try to buy scents that sound like they have notes I'd enjoy, but there have certainly been some that weren't what I thought they would be.  Sometimes I can tolerate them enough to just get through them, but other times I need to get rid of them.  As a teacher, I am often gifted floral scented candles, which I do not like at all.  They are headache inducing for me, so I don't even attempt to burn them.  A few people in my family love floral candles, so that's it easy for me to pass those along.

Honored Contributor

I've gotten so many candles as little gifts over the years and I'm not going to name names, but some are disgustingly scented and you can see the soot coming off them.  Yuck.

I have a huge round tray on my patio table and I've burned 4 and 5 at a time just to get rid of them.

I even used a couple for the inside of pumpkins at Halloween--those also are outside.

Honored Contributor

I threw out ALL the wax candles I had stored for years when I moved---not a fan of them anyway but do like the flameless ones. Can remember once in my youth, at a friends house , he had lit candles on a window sill and his long haired cat walked by it, and set its tail a flame-----omg--was amazed that we re acted so fast to put her out!!!!! From that day forward, I never  lit candles ever! Well maybe on a birthday cakeCat Wink

Honored Contributor

You have to throw them in the trash.  Or bury them in the ground.  Some scented candles are practically inescapable; I bought one such pillar at Target many years ago,

Honored Contributor

I always try to find a use for something I don't want before throwing it away.  We (Americans) produce too much trash.  There are some excellent ideas in this thread that are much better than just "throwing it out."

Respected Contributor

I don't buy fruity candles, just can't stand those scents. I would put them away somewhere, opened, and the scent will eventually dissipate; then I would use them in power outages.

Respected Contributor

I thought donation centers like Goodwill or Value Village would not accept candles.