Honored Contributor

Candle Impressions - Lanterns...UGH... Anyone else w/this problem???

[ Edited ]

Just curious - since these are a little over a year old.  

- they no longer will NOT work on timer.  Although they are nice -- I don't feel like going through batteries NOR do I want to keep going outside to "turn off".

I have tried everything -- I have both switched to "timer" mode (actually there is only a off/timer switch).  But the lanterns do not shut off after 6-8 hours Smiley Sad

Anyone else have this problem??  Just curious - I have them on the lanai and a covered porch - both are having the same issue!  

I put new batteries and still doesn't work on timer mode. Smiley Sad  

I know they can't be returned and could be used as "steady" on -- the 3 candle one I have is starting the same issues...ugh...

IMG_9394.JPG

Thank you!  I

Frequent Contributor

Re: Candle Impressions - Lanterns...UGH... Anyone else w/this problem???

Yes I have these and love them. In fact I have 3 on my patio. I bring them in for the winter. My timer still works but I really like to use the remote better.  Turn switch to on position and just use your remote.  You won't have to go out to turn them off. My remote works thru my slider door. Hope that helps...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mardy 

I don't recall getting remotes with mine.  Perhaps this is the problem I just put them back outside last week!!!

How do I get one ... I really like these lanterns...thank you!!!

If you could post pic I'd appreciate it as I have remotes for luminaras, and other candles -- maybe they'll work!

Thank you!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I have MANY Candle Impressions candles.  I have found that over time, some of mine just stop working all together.  In fact I just threw one away the other day because it would not come on at all, even with brand new batteries.  I thought these had LED lights in them, so what went wrong here?  I also have had problems with the timer not working in some of mine.  To add to that, I do have these lanterns, two of them.  The volume button on our TV remote would turn them on.  I was constantly turning them off when they were one our kitchen counter.  Then I just moved them to the top of our TV unit, and we have to turn them off with their remotes when we are done watching TV.  It makes a nice effect, but we will be going through a lot of batteries this way.  I can't believe that they did not consider this when making the candle remotes.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Respected Contributor

MAybe I can help.

Make sure the battery connections are CLEAN...no corrosion or ANY matter on them (where the plus and minus battery points touch the metalic strips in the battery compartment.

Tell tale corrosion can show up as whitish powder, or blackish marks on the metalic strips where the batteries touch.

Take a cotton swab with rubbing alcohol and gently but thoroughly clean the contact points. They should be shiny. But even if you can't get all the discoloration off them, they may still work.

Make sure the contact points on the batteries ( BOTH ends) are clean and completely touch the strips. You can bend those strips with a fine tool like a tweezer or toothpick.

I know this works because my animatronic lion that I bought ten years or more ago on QVC stopped working ( mouth and eyes and purr and growl). I cleaned the teminals and now it's good as new.

HINT: DO NOT leave the batteries in the unit when stored or for long times. The contact points should be kept clean clean clean for best use. 

Hope this helps!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Bought one last yr and it is still working so far. I'll keep  my fingers crossed

Esteemed Contributor

@homedecor1  I have two of these lanterns, and the timers only work by using the remote. You turn on the candle manually, then you push the 5 hour timer button. It will blink twice, letting you know the timer is set.  If you don't have a remote, you could check if any other CI remotes work on them. I've tried to get extra remotes for BL, but QVC said they didn't have any. Give CS a call. I have two remotes and only need one. I wish there was a way of giving you one.

Honored Contributor

I've lost one of my bigger lanterns from CI similar to this one. It simply stopped working. 

I used it exclusively outdoors and it sat in the total elements from April through October for three years before it died. I kept batteries in it and it ran every night.

I'm not happy about it, but I guess for the under $40 I paid for it, and how cheaply things are made these days, I should expect it to be gone. 

It still looks like new, and held up really well to the sun and rain and some snow. So it really makes me less than happy that it won't work at all. 

CI used to have THE BEST candles on the market for longevity. This was the first one that quit on me. Since then, I have had a couple of others quit working. They have cheapened that brand, and the quality isn't what it used to be. Like everything else these days. 

I have a few metal outdoor lanterns that I will be tossing this spring. They are getting rusty and not looking so good. I could sandblast them, and spray paint after removing the glass, and rehab them, but I'm not sure it is worth the time or the effort to do so. One is a Candle Impressions, has been outside for at least 5 years, probably longer, and for the exposure it has taken, I can't complain about the deterioration it has suffered. 

It's time for me to just dump several lanterns and move on I guess.

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom 

Thank you! I found a candle impressions remote from another lantern.

I followed the directions you gave me (and paper directions) now 🤞🏻 it works!! Thanks again!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@PA Mom-mom 

Thank you! I found a candle impressions remote from another lantern.

I followed the directions you gave me (and paper directions) now 🤞🏻 it works!! Thanks again!!!

@homedecor1  Yippee!