Frequent Contributor

Can someone recommend a moving company?

I am moving from NJ to Delaware and need a reputable moving company.  Any recommendations?  I think word of mouth is better than checking the internet. 

Thanks for any help!!

Trusted Contributor

Re: Can someone recommend a moving company?

Abe Luri e Parkway Vans. Between my family and myself we used them about 30 times. I am in New York where they used to be located but now they are in N ew Jersey. They are wonderful. Let me know what happens. Just to let you know, their rates may seem high but they are so fast you won't believe it. Also they always came in under their estimate. Wish I could give you my name for a recommendation but I can't but you can say that they moved me from Brooklyn to Long Island. They may remember. Good luck!

Trusted Contributor

Please make sure you are contacting an actual moving company and NOT a broker.  There have been horror stories when dealing with brokers.  Have the mover come to your house. get an Estimate IN WRITING.

Trusted Contributor

may i suggest you check out yelp for your area. you should get tons of reviews for movers 

Honored Contributor

Try to find a moving company that specializes in long distance moving.  They have "senior" discounts if you are a AAA and/or AARP member.  Veterns get discounts too.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I also recommend checking out Yelp - and googling the company's name to see if there are BAD reviews.

I learned to call the company on the phone - have a rep go to ur house to see exactly what u need moved. He'll itemize everything - give u a copy - and a statement needs to be written: Estimate Not to Exceed $______________. He/she needs to sign and date it. This way, they can't hold ur furniture and tell u the price went up several hundred dollars.

Movers are at the top of the list (with contractors) for being SCAMMERS. Make sure they're licensed - and actually go to CSLB to check out their license #.

Years ago, I called a mover from an ad in Pennysaver and there was a license #. I found out it was owned by one guy (smaller truck) - and the license # was made up.

After this horrible move -- I moved again. That's when I googled information about movers and learned they need to go to my house and itemize everything. Otherwise, they can charge u what they want. And - many of them break things.

The Professional Movers have bigger trucks and are licensed.

Honored Contributor

Years ago I moved from Il to CA and California to Illinois by Allied.  Nothing was broken.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

We also used Allied for two of our long distance moves and were very pleased with their service.  They were careful with our things and the movers themselves were very pleasant.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mega Shopper 

Call Allied in Delaware.  They moved us from the Philly area to NM.   I can't say enough about how professional, careful and great they were. The picked up everything, stored it for 3-4 months in DE,  loaded it and brought it to Alb.  There a local company they are affiliated with brought everything to SF and unloaded it in the pouring rain.  Not one scratch, nothing missing, nothing broken.   We were amazed at the whole process from first meeting to the time the ALB guys drove away.  

Honored Contributor

But Allied is a van line.  Each office is a franchise, so one location may have a great job and another may not.

I would also say that right now, it is very difficult to hire people, so you may find that they can't schedule your move until pretty far out.

I would look at Yelp reviews by date with the most recent reviews to see what is happening with moving right now.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN