Valued Contributor

Can anyone recommend a garment/drapery steamer?

Can anyone recommend a portable steamer that I can use for garment touch-ups as well as for steaming wrinkles out of curtains and drapes? Nothing real expensive, but something that will work in a pinch.  I've gotten a couple recommendations from friends but the brands appear to be no longer made. I've been reading reviews on Walmart/Amazon/Target until my eyes cross.  Woman Tongue

Respected Contributor

Re: Can anyone recommend a garment/drapery steamer?

My January issue of Good Housekeeping stated that the Conair portable steamer got their seal of approval.  I have had three Rowenta steamers, two standing units and one small travel steamer and they all were disappointing considering the price. All three ended up at curbside far too early.  I do love their steam irons though.

I also have a Joy Mangano "My Little Steamer" and it leaves a trail of water even when used as directed.  The price is reasonable, but performance is poor.  If I ever buy a portable steamer I will read the reviews on the Conair unit.

HTH

Honored Contributor

I also have "The My Little Steamer". As long as you keep it upright, I have no trouble with it.

I also have a Sunbeam steamer. The My Little Steamer takes such a short time to start steaming, I haven't used the Sunbeam in quite awhile.

Valued Contributor

I have the My Little Steamer- Joy Mangano HSN. I love it and use it everyday. tI does spit a little occasionally but I figured out that is when I leave it sitting on too long without using it (heating up) or tilting it downward. 

Trusted Contributor

My Little Steamer by Joy Mangano works wonderfully. I’ve had mine for years. 

Honored Contributor

I recommend My Little Steamer. It doesn't spit any more than my Rowenta iron. Just occasionally. Happy shopping.

Trusted Contributor

I also recommend my little steamer by Joy Mangano. I've had mine for over a year and it works perfectly.
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I also would reccomend My Little Steamer by Joy Mangano, I've had several others over the years and about ten or eleven years ago I bought the My Little Streamer and love it. It's still going strong and I just brought the travel version of it.  

Respected Contributor

Got a Rowenta handheld steamer from Q last year because I don't iron and had  newly purchased wrinkled curtains, dust ruffles, etc. for our updated vacation house.

It was easy to fill, lasted about 10 minutes of heavy steam and I even used it upside down to do the dust ruffles because I wasn't going to unmake the new beds !  It sits stable on counter tops and is comfortable in the hand.

Haven't done clothes with it since I use pant stretchers for Bermudas and slacks.

Cost was about $60 I think.

HTH

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Valued Contributor

Another vote for the My Litttle Steamer...have had mine for at least 5 yrs...no problem with it if you don't tip it too much...but does a great job ..and it was cheap..compared to others... JMO