Valued Contributor

Re: ~~ Calling Luminara Candle Owners ~~

I buy Duracell at Costco, Energizers from the commissary, and RayoVac (silver and blue label) at the commissary, too. 

From past experience, they all last about the same. I've noticed the Duracells, which are labeled good till 2024+, leak the fastest. Rayovac, when they stayed in the candles long after burning out (like a year and I forgot), never leaked. Batteries are lasting longer in the newer Luminara, C and D size.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you so much for the replies. I purchased some Energizer Max, replaced the batteries in two luminaras that require D batteries ~ then put a sticky note with the date on the bottom to see how they do. I love Christmas.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Super Contributor

I have noticed the same with Duracell batteries. They are the brand that leak the most, so much so that I have stopped purchasing them for battery operated candles. Many times I have had to wipe out the battery compartments with vinegar to get rid of the leaking battery residue. Very annoying.

Honored Contributor

@WSfan wrote:

I have noticed the same with Duracell batteries. They are the brand that leak the most, so much so that I have stopped purchasing them for battery operated candles. Many times I have had to wipe out the battery compartments with vinegar to get rid of the leaking battery residue. Very annoying.

I only buy Duracell, and have noticed in the last couple of years, that they are leaking very easily and very often.

I never had this problem, years ago with their batteries. I'd forget a toy with batteries in it for years, and no leaking. But the flameless candles can burn out and a week or two later, when I get around to changing batteries, I find quite a mess.

LIke everything else I guess, making them cheaper and cheaper, but not less expensive.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@WSfan wrote:

I only buy Duracell, and have noticed in the last couple of years, that they are leaking very easily and very often.

I never had this problem, years ago with their batteries. I'd forget a toy with batteries in it for years, and no leaking. But the flameless candles can burn out and a week or two later, when I get around to changing batteries, I find quite a mess.

LIke everything else I guess, making them cheaper and cheaper, but not less expensive.

@Mominohio  I couldn't agree more about things being made cheaper and costing more these days.  I, too, can remember when I didn't have to worry about  Energizer or Duracell batteries leaking but now I have to watch all of them even the better ones.  I don't use the cheaper ones as I'm not that good at replacing batteries as soon as they burn out and I know they will leak very fast. I'm thinking I need to stop buying b/o decor, but I sure love the ease of placement of  the items. 

Is it warm in Ohio for December?  It sure is here in Mo, 70's this week.  I'm loving it.

Regular Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

This is the one reason I will not buy anymore flameless candles.  Just too many batteries.

Having said that, I do have the larger Luminara (from Kohl's) that use 2D batteries and they seem to last a good while.  Maybe 3 months on the timer.

However, I have some Luminara votives that seem to burn through AA batteries ever few weeks.  I got those candles from QVC and one set went bad right away.  One candle blinked with fresh batteries, so I sent back the whole set.

While I love the look of these candles, and I'm constantly tempted, I won't buy any more.  I wish I had been able to get the candles that are level all the way around rather than raised on one side.  They only look decent burning from the front.  I see that some do not have that raised edge and I like those much better.

Oh, I use Duracell batteries, but it makes no difference at all. 

I don't have any of these candles yet, but I've been awfully tempted to buy them on more than one occassion. Thank you for the very helpful information. If I ever buy one of these candles, I will be sure to keep what you said in mind. 

Trusted Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

This is the one reason I will not buy anymore flameless candles.  Just too many batteries.

Having said that, I do have the larger Luminara (from Kohl's) that use 2D batteries and they seem to last a good while.  Maybe 3 months on the timer.

However, I have some Luminara votives that seem to burn through AA batteries ever few weeks.  I got those candles from QVC and one set went bad right away.  One candle blinked with fresh batteries, so I sent back the whole set.

While I love the look of these candles, and I'm constantly tempted, I won't buy any more.  I wish I had been able to get the candles that are level all the way around rather than raised on one side.  They only look decent burning from the front.  I see that some do not have that raised edge and I like those much better.

Oh, I use Duracell batteries, but it makes no difference at all. 

If you like the candles that are even all the way around, check out Amazon.  I got some there a little while ago that were cheaper than QVC.  Not sure what they have left.

Honored Contributor

@lucymo wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

@WSfan wrote:

@Mominohio  I couldn't agree more about things being made cheaper and costing more these days.  I, too, can remember when I didn't have to worry about  Energizer or Duracell batteries leaking but now I have to watch all of them even the better ones.  I don't use the cheaper ones as I'm not that good at replacing batteries as soon as they burn out and I know they will leak very fast. I'm thinking I need to stop buying b/o decor, but I sure love the ease of placement of  the items. 

Is it warm in Ohio for December?  It sure is here in Mo, 70's this week.  I'm loving it.

Hi @lucymo

Ohio is definitely warm for the season. A number of years ago, when I was a kid or when my own kid was little, I would have been so bummed by this warm weather. I would have wanted snow for him to play in, build a snowman, sled ride, and just make it seem like Christmas.

But now, I'm just tickled pink. I'm not worrying about the heat bill (it was 65+ yesterday, and calling for near 70 today), not worrying about family driving in the ice and snow to and from work, and just getting out and about because it is more like spring!  We've been unusually dry as well for a number of months now. So the whole thing has me wondering just what January and February will bring, or if we'll catch up with flooding rains come spring. One day at a time, I guess!

And as to the whole subject of everything made cheaper all the time, I just get so frustrated. 

I'm old enough to remember the "good, better, best" way of manufacturing, buying, and shopping. There were various levels of quality in about everything, and for the most part, the higher up the scale you went, the higher the price. One had choices based on their finances, or on their need for a particular product. 

All that seems to have gone by the wayside. Price is no longer an indication of quality, and finding quality at any price is hard to do. Even brand name is no longer a clue as to what you are getting. There used to be some really reliable, and high end brands that one could always count on for a quality products, but not so much anymore. 

And if one finds a brand and style of something they like (it can be anything from fashion, to linens, to batteries to laundry soap, to a food product) better buy as much as you think you will want for the foreseeable future, because nothing is manufactured and available for more than ten minutes these days. By the time I test out a new pair of shoes for a couple of months, or a particular set of sheets, when I go back to buy more, because I'm pleased with the quality, fit, etc. They are gone, and I find myself scouring the secondary market for the leftovers, most often not finding them. 

Very frustrating indeed.

Frequent Contributor

has anyone tried the other brands of flameless candles?   I saw some at BB&B, and I noticed a huge price difference and wondering if you actually get what you pay for.   

Frequent Contributor

Personally, I like the solace candle.  Uses c batteries and last a good while usually.  I think they look more realistic because of a 3d effect. I do buy the as is at qvc and have the mosaic type, very pretty!  Also I have some very nice lanterns from the other brand where the candle no longer worked.  My husband was able to unscrew it from base and I put a solare candle in its place.