Honored Contributor

Re: California Water restrictions... Ideas to cut back /save/recycle

I am also a WEN user and I grew up in CA during several droughts AND went to a summer camp where there was enough cold water for 3 showers and 15 girls had to showers in the same hour. 

When I get in the shower, I get wet and get my hair wet, then I turn the water off while I apply my WEN, turn it on to add a splash and back off to massage the WEN into my hair. I turn the water on to get wet again and leave the WEN in my hair while rinse my bath pouf, then turn the water back off. I soap up my pouf and my body with the water off, then turn it back on to rinse my body and my hair. Turning the water off when I while I wash or scrub saves a lot of water. Not doing a double-WEN wash also helps. My hair is still soft and healthy.

You may also want to look into installing a greywater system, if they are allowed in your area. greywater systems take water from your shower, laundry, and sinks and use the water for yard irrigation. They're not approved in all states or communities, but as droughts get worse, more places are allowing them.

Honored Contributor

@sandraskates wrote:

And as has been said about flushing the toilet "If it's yellow it's mellow, if it's brown flush it down".

Do you know the history of that rhyme? It started during the drought of the 70s - the first time Jerry Brown was Governor. He promoted the first part of the saying while Governor and political his opponents took up the second part and used it as a slogan against Brown in the next election cycle.

I've always remembered that and felt bad when California had ANOTHER and even more severe drought under a second Brown governorship. The poor man is going to get a complex.

Honored Contributor

Wouldn't you know, I was informed on Friday that we have a water main leak.  I am afraid to receive my bill this month.