Honored Contributor

COZY TINY APARTMENT LIVING ROOM

It's Brandy Jackson again, this time with her ideas about her living room.  Back story:  She's a Phoenix wedding photographer by trade, but I would call her an "instinctive", atmosphere-driven, decorator.  Fun to see her space and hear her explain her choices:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfUDuGKe8KE

It's funny, b/c she and her husband seem to live in a very small, one bedroom apartment-- there's not even a dining table, as far as one can tell. 

But her style is sort of "urban loft".   Curated, one of a kind pieces, almost all neutrals, lots of ancient wood and vintage, mixed with modern, and soft coziness.  European touches.  Oh, and big plants.  But because she is quite selective, the apartment doesn't look crammed or cluttered.  The shorthand for the type of style she's evolved is the "Restoration Hardware" look.

Anyway, lots of her tips are good for those of us with different styles, too--  like only get what you love, and do without till you find that.  Love her tip about linen drop-cloth curtains!  And I completely agree with her about soft, squishy pillows and hiding the original ones that come with the sofa, ha.

I share her reverence for old, crusty wood (look at that giant dough bowl), and texture of all kinds.  She likes NO color though, on either walls or decor, and I like soft muted 'off-colors' on walls, but more neutral accessories.  Still, I can always learn from people with well-thought out aesthetics, whether similar to mine or not.

Honored Contributor

Re: COZY TINY APARTMENT LIVING ROOM

[ Edited ]

I appreciate all home decor posts and the time folks take to post them. That said and with all due respect, I'm going to try to remember her name so I can avoid opening any more of her rather verbose videos going forward. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Ha, ha, I'm not surprised you said that, @stevieb .  I had a wee bit of a reaction to her at first -- sorry to say, I was thinking, uh oh, we have a possible "Valley person" situation.

But I love exploring others' design aesthetics, if they have substance behind them.  She may search for words, but she has a passion about decorating and living well, and a romanticism about design, that is always enjoyable for me to see.

Have noticed that artists and photographers often have visceral reactions to things-- they may not be overly verbal, but they connect to images in a way that is sort of primal and can produce nice effects...

Never fear, not trying to convince you in the least, just explaining why I personally like to roam all over the "interior space" world, from eighteenth century refinement, to contemporary, loft-like effects...

Honored Contributor

@Oznell   That was an interesting video.  I wish she had shown more of her apartment instead of just watcing her talk.  I agree with her about buying what you love.  That's what I've always done.

One criticism about her space that I have is that her TV is wider than the piece that it's on.  I think that looks odd.  To me, the TV should be narrower or the same size as what it's standing on.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Good eye for detail, @NickNack !  You're right.  Now that you've mentioned it, I'm also noticing the disparity in width of the TV and the shelf/bookshelf thing, and I agree.  As is, it looks a bit unweildy...  I think she said her husband built that bookshelf for their previous house, which might explain the "improvised" nature of what they have.

She did do a tour of the entire small apartment, which I hesitated to post, since it's 20 minutes long.  But if you still want to see more of the set up, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH7H1ejAstE

There's still quite a bit of Brandy expounding, ha, but you do get to see more.  It's very tiny, which makes it more impressive to me that she has created, within her preferred style, a nice mood and feeling of relaxation-- sort of an "undone" feeling.... 

Honored Contributor

Many of her tips are what I have in my home.  I do love curtains and drapes and always have. I change my curtains  for winter and summer. Plants are always a good tip but you need the proper light and my plants are not in my living room for that reason. 

It is always fun to see how others decorate and you do get inspired.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  We all gravitate toward our own muses and yet my biggest issue with the video was as noted by @NickNack, all we really saw was her talking (and talking... and talking... Smiley Wink), with very little of her decorating efforts shown. That said, from what I did see, I'm pretty sure her aesthetic would not be overwhelmingly compatible with mine. Still, that's why there's more than one flavor... Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Similar dilemma in my living room, @spiderw .   I have windows on 3 sides, yet there's only one where I can put plants, and it has a heat vent thing nearby and and it just isn't a good spot! 

I LOVE to decorate with plants like she does, but my best spot for them is the upstairs bathroom.  I do at least have one good spot in one of my more public rooms, the dining room, where my 30 year old lipstick plant thrives...

I'm impressed that you switch out your window treatments seasonally-- love the things we learn here in the "Home" category! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just to be fair, I went to the longer video, muted the sound and fast forwarded through a portion of it... Have to say, the appeal escapes me, both her home and her... No idea why she felt compelled to carry a glass of wine, seemingly as a prop, throughout the entire video, never sipping from it. Her place is very neat and tidy with a place for everything, (which she proceeded to show us... every single thing...), and everything in its place... As suspected, her aestheic and mine are miles apart and there weren't even many elements there I would personally choose or find appealing but I will give her props for what appears to be organization and an ability to finely hone what she owns...

Honored Contributor

I found this video to be fairly informative for such a small place.  I agree that she knows how to use space wisely and I think she has an eye for placement. I admire that she doesn't seem to "sweat the small stuff" such as her unfolded quilt and husband's shoes!  Thanks for this video. I enjoy  It's a nice change.  She is so pretty! Oh, to be that young again (sigh).