Honored Contributor

COUNTRY HOUSE IN SURREY, ENGLAND

Pickhurst_62129649.jpg

Phillip Thomas in the Manhattan apartment did a pretty spot-on version of a cozy, English country house look--  now here's an English designer, Louise Bradley, doing a somewhat more restrained, neutral palette in a very English house.

Built in the 1880's,  this house underwent extensive renovations, but kept that gorgeous architecture and period touches.  The hallway was given floors of Portland stone.

62129670.smaller.jpg

This expansive kitchen is just so beautiful.  ( Obligatory disclaimer that I wouldn't want to be the one to wash those leaded windows, ha.)

large_gallery_24_172.jpg

large_gallery_24_171.jpg

Swoon.  This seems to be a sort of "great hall", casual great room area, complete with baby grand.   As in the kitchen,  they seem to have cleverly tucked a long, oval-ish table into that curving bay of windows, a nice use of the space...

Pickhurst_62133201.jpg

That sculpture on the table is just one of several Art Deco touches around the house.  It's funny-- have you ever noticed how Art Deco and Tudor surroundings seem to be so compatible?  They just seem to work together somehow.

62129693.smaller.jpg

A smaller, more formal sitting room, enlivened by sparkly elements.  Another graceful sculpture.

63279605.jpg

I can just imagine the tranquil views and the light they must get every morning in this master bedroom.

Pickhurst_62129607.jpg

But this extremely cozy, under-the-eaves little spare bedroom would be my choice for slumber!  Look at those embroidered shams.  I hope the details are coming through-- the original pictures on the Louise Bradley site are bigger I think, so the effects are even more stunning.

62129626.smaller_200828_143708.jpg

I love the fanciful ram sculpture, the carved mirror and simple pendant light--  all so perfect in this country setting.

62129681.smaller.jpg

Lovely vistas in every direction.

Pickhurst_62129603.jpg

This same property has its own hunting lodge, and a cluster of country cottages that go with it.  Louise Bradley did such a charming, sympathetic renovation of those too--  maybe I'll post those later.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: COUNTRY HOUSE IN SURREY, ENGLAND

Lovely and I like the way the neutral colors flow throughout the house!

Honored Contributor

That's a gorgeous house @Oznell .  I really like the matching iron(?) lamps in the more formal sitting room on the end tables.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I love the outside of the house and much of the inside.  But all those pillows would have to go; far too many and too impractical.  They'd have to be moved every time someone wanted to sit down.

The one room I'm not fond of is the master bedroom.  The only thing I like about it is the wall of windows.  I don't like the headboard or the couch.  But, if you're going to have a couch like that, at least face it towards the windows so you can see the beautiful outdoors.

I love the smaller, under-eaves bedroom.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

That formal sitting room had me at first glance.  Beautiful!!!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell 

When can I move in?

That's about as close to perfect as you can get.  My only criticism?  The hanging light fixtures.

That's decorating with restraint.  So tasteful.

Much like you, O. Heart

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Esteemed Contributor

This place is absolutely beautiful. Love it all. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell    It's quite lovely.  Each room is well done.

Honored Contributor

LOVE it!!  I'm in!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Now this is wierd. Before opening this post I was sure I'd love this one. Well, despite some fabulous elements and several very attractive rooms, overall I don't. I'm not even sure why. Part of it is that it's all just a bit bland, but that alone isn't  it. The house is clearly impressive, but for whatever combination of reasons, the gestalt doesn't resonate with me. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...