Honored Contributor

COMFORTABLE, TRAD'L FAMILY HOME

I was amused to see this video titled "how to mix traditional and modern",  when the predominant vibe of the house is traditional.  There are a few modern accessories, but not enough to vy with the overall feel of the house.

This time, it's the powder room that I can't stand-- the "pick-up-sticks" wallpaper is meant to be a high-impact statement in a small space (which concept I often like) but here it just isn't appealing, in my opinion.

Love, love that living room with crackling fire!  The warm cozy rug gives it life.  The designer's hubbo is right that she's too captivated by the gray trend-- it's fairly quiet here but in this application, is boring.  In this traditional house, some wall color would be welcome.

But the house is pretty, and very liveable, I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqnFVEftAAE&list=PUq6H4g9eVY9WxoboCFd0iRA&index=10

Honored Contributor

Re: COMFORTABLE, TRAD'L FAMILY HOME

I also very much like this place. I love how they incorporated goldtone fixtures throughout instead of stainless. There are a few tweaks in furniture pieces here and there I'd change out (coffee table for one in LR).  While I think it's a bit sterile done mostly in whites, I could still probably live there as is but white is not good with kids, nor a spouse who may not be really astute to it being WHITE - you know dirty finger prints, dirty shoes walking about - you get my drift.

I do believe most if not all of the pieces fit very well together. It is quite lovely.

Honored Contributor

Your points are well taken, @PINKdogWOOD.  Agreed!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell  I'd say the overall vibe is transitional rather than traditional. The bones of the house are old and some of the furnishings, moldings, etc. are pretty clearly traditional, but many of the accessories, colors, patterns and newer fixtures and fittings seem pretty contemporary to me. I agree, that powder room is dreadful.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

The house is traditional but overall the furniture and colors are way too modern for my eye. The kitchen especially is soooo white and contains my pet peeve - the sink is in the island. I like my kitchen island large with no sink or stove in it. I like to pull out all my baking or cooking supplies for whatever I'm making and srill have room for rolling out cookie or bread dough.

I like the house, just not her style. I do like the rug and the fireplace.

Honored Contributor

In general, I don't like when someone takes a home this old, with all the gorgeous built in features she mentions at the beginning and doesn't stick to the period/style more with the furnishings, this one included. 

Period homes (of any period of time before the 1950's)) in my opinion, look best when the furnishings are closer to the time period of the home, and the style of the home. Just a quirk I have.