Honored Contributor

COMFORTABLE BUT SPARE FAMILY HOME IN SEATTLE

[ Edited ]

image24_thumb[3].png

Just discovered this design blog called "Cote de Texas" and she has some really nice houses in there.  This one is a large, but unpretentious house in a wonderful neighborhood of Seattle-- it overlooks Lake Washington.  The house was built in 1922, and the architectural details, esp. in the library, reflect the high craftsmanship of the period.  The owner loves old paintings, so the blogger, Joni Webb, calls this "the portrait house".  The designer, interestingly, went with what she describes as a minimal and primitive aesthetic-- but she mixes that with things like floral Belgian linen upholstery, and other surprising elements.

image30_thumb[3].png

I really like this almost bare front hall.  Look how it leads into a cozy library.

image_thumb171[3].png

image_thumb43[4].png

By contrast, the living room is light and a little more formal, but still with charming old touches, like a Gustavian clock and the homey white ironstone the owners collect:

image8_thumb[3].png

image5_thumb[3].png

I find the simplicity of this quite ravishing--  the tulips, the ironstone, the table, and have a weakness for old, speckled mirrors-- the more distressed, the better!

image21_thumb[3].png

Another surprising, rustic touch is the pedigreed dark wicker chairs pulled informally around that fabulous limed dining table:

image_thumb25[3].png

image_thumb29[3].png

image_thumb38[3].png

image_thumb61[3].png

image_thumb32[3].png

Here's the other end of the spacious master bedroom:

image_thumb35[3].png

More beautiful vintage dark wicker, and that killer view of Lake Washington from the terrace:

image_thumb1[8].png

I expect this house wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea-- it's not "farmhouse chic" or anything.  Even I don't love every aspect of it.  But I adore the quiet, tranquil air, from another era, the use of superb, austere Americana-- the lanterns, wooden bowls, tole, portraits and pristine white ironstone.  For me, it spells comfort and freshness.

ETA--  Oh, I meant to put in this detail from the library.  That fireplace!  What a beautiful old marble surround it has.  This would be such a cozy spot, in front of the roaring fire on a cool, gray Seattle day...

image_thumb7[4].png

Honored Contributor

Re: COMFORTABLE BUT SPARE FAMILY HOME IN SEATTLE

[ Edited ]

I love the simplicity, well chosen elements, and the amazing library.  The kitchen sorely needs an upgrade to keep up.  Love the backyard view of the water.  When considering a potential home, I find myself valuing the nature and landscaping surrounding the house  just at important at the interior.

Respected Contributor

The (back) framing of the staircase is fascinating.  I've never seen one built like that.

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

I am moving in!   This was tastefully decorated.  Not too much and the use of white sofa/chairs in the paneled room made it come to life.  I like everything about this home.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

Oh, what a great house, I love everything about it. Wish I could afford something like that, maybe in my next life.

Trusted Contributor

I like some sections of the home.  The front lawn is nice.

I do like the minimal style of the front hall as well.  Also, the antique table with the ironstone & beautiful tulips .. & of course, the speckled mirror.

The kitchen is pretty common, not too different from some design shows.

Not much of a fan, as this isn't my style.

The terrace is the best part, but I'd rather a bright color table setting such as aqua, white, yellow, etc.  You can find some beautiful sets with these either "all" colors or with these as "accent" colors.  Some may be on the pricey side but some antique furnishings aren'y cheap either.  I just think with not much brightness in the home, the outdoor setting would look beautiful with brighter colors.  

Esteemed Contributor

This is a beautiful home with pieces that are important and meaninful to the owners. I'd expect to see this home on the East coast! Thanks for posting.

Honored Contributor

Love the house.  Don't like white slipcovers, the blue rug, the rattan chairs and table, the bed, no cabinets above the counters, bare hardwood floors, and console table.  

I think the livingroom is too bare and not cozy.

I'd take everything out and start over.  

I

Honored Contributor

You make a good point, @Foxxee, in that, if someone didn't like the particular decor in this house, they would still be able to get great results (in their own particular vision) because the architectural "bones" of the house are so good.

Honored Contributor

I have mixed feelings about the furniture and decor.  I find the rooms spacious which I love but not warm for the most part, at least not for me.  However, I would enjoy the challenge of furnishing the house in my taste and putting some color throughout. Of course the view is spectacular!