Respected Contributor

Re: COLORFUL BELGIAN FLAT OF DESIGNER GERT VOORJANS

It is remarkable!! I love it and would really enjoy sitting and having tea along with hearing the history of all the beautiful things. However it would be to much for me to actually live with on a daily basis.

Honored Contributor

BlRe: COLORFUL BELGIAN FLAT OF DESIGNER GERT VOORJANS

Well, it looks like more people took the dare than I thought would do, ha.  @Kitlynn , I think my reaction to his home is closest to yours and @BlueFinch 's.   I'd so enjoy exploring the treasure trove, hearing stories, etc.,  but for daily living I do need a more edited space.

He's got that artistic, "old world" designer's eye, and obviously wants to surround himself with beauty.

I want:  some of his china, his incredibly rich fabrics, that astonishing Thirties' luxury cruise ship chandelier, some of his fabulous Art Deco items, and Cubist art, and his sense of 'fun' in decor....  

Esteemed Contributor

Interesting! It seems that "space" as defined by us in this country is quite different from the space that many Europeans are used to. Aside from the huge castles/mansion of the uber wealthy in Europe, it seems that most homes or apartments there are quite small when compared to what we may be used to in this country. A lot of things need to be squeezed into much smaller spaces. I enjoy seeing how others live and appreciate your photos.

Honored Contributor

Excellent point, perceptive @jannabelle1 !

Esteemed Contributor

I get a "sensory overload" feeling.  There are just way too many textiles, prints and colors that, in my opinion, simply do not coordinate well.  Not to mention that just about every square inch is filled to the brim with it.  I had to skip most of the video and just stopped at some of the highlights of each room as it was making me anxious.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

This home is not for me but I do like the Living Room with the roaring fire. The large standing clock in front of the fireplace makes no sense to me.

The cleaning staff for this home must get paid quite well because they sure have a lot of stuff to move around.

I actually enjoyed the video even though it was not my style.

Esteemed Contributor

@shaggygirl  I looked at Iris Apfel's apartment. I had heard of her but never seen her,

Sweet BabyJames, I wanted a Xanax just looking at that apartment.  I feel sorry for the person/people who have to clean and dust that place.

The concept of "less is more" doesn't apply.

Esteemed Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

Interesting! It seems that "space" as defined by us in this country is quite different from the space that many Europeans are used to. Aside from the huge castles/mansion of the uber wealthy in Europe, it seems that most homes or apartments there are quite small when compared to what we may be used to in this country. A lot of things need to be squeezed into much smaller spaces. I enjoy seeing how others live and appreciate your photos.

Your analysis is so spot on and adds a new perspective that's appreciated.  While many of the rooms/homes we see may not be my personal style I too enjoy seeing them and appreciating them for what they are.  

Honored Contributor

I love this designer's home.  It truly is a home.  Everything in it has a story, everything is an extension of who he is.

I wouldn't call it cluttered at all, but he does have a lot of stuff.  How can you toss things that have real meaning?  He has some really fine things.  I would love to visit in person and hear his stories.

I'd paint those stairs though.  They are long overdue.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell 

NOPE!  Sorry just can't get into this cluttery room.