Honored Contributor

COLORFUL BELGIAN FLAT OF DESIGNER GERT VOORJANS

I almost feel this should be labeled, "for those who appreciate maximalists only"!  Others might get too dizzy from the objects.  Here's a picture of a cozy library-like corner so you'll know if you want to even bother with the video of his flat.  That lampshade!

Gert-Voorjans-home-in-Antwerp-via-Quintessence.jpeg 

It's Susanna Salk from "Quintessence", taking one of her tours of famed designer Gert Voorjans flat, right above his Antwerp, Belgium shop .

He has an intoxicating sense of art and history, and his fabrics, when he's showing them to Susanna, are kaleidoscopic and sumptuous. 

That massive, 1930's glass and crystal chandelier that dominates his dining room, (originally from a vintage ship) is one of the most interesting things of its kind I've seen. The fact that it's "outsize" for the room, makes the room for me.

Those teacups he serves her tea in!  That Italian walnut clock!

I'd be as excited as Susanna is, being taken through this house!  If you want to dare, come on:

Gert-Voorjans-Antwerp-home-via-Quintessence.jpeg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXasDfjFUlQ&feature=emb_logo

Respected Contributor

Re: COLORFUL BELGIAN FLAT OF DESIGNER GERT VOORJANS

Oh my, he really does "tease the eye."  A bit much for me, but I'd love to sit for tea and hear the stories behind each of his unique items.  

Trusted Contributor

Looks like a hoarder
Honored Contributor

Too cluttered and junk filled for my taste.

Esteemed Contributor

If you want to see a colorful filled to the brim apartment google Iris Apfel's apartment. Oh Mama Mia.

Honored Contributor

I saw flat of designer gert voorjans and thought wonder what kind of flowers those are.  LOL.

Respected Contributor

Wow!  That 2nd photo of the small blue chair, staircase and gigantic vase atop a large pedestal reminds me of Dada art.  How scary would that heavy looking vase be, with its super tiny base, to a person sitting in that small chair beside it?  Imagine if the homeowner had a large dog, like a Russian wolfhound, that liked to jump on visitors, and that dog accidentally knocked into that pedestal holding that vase while a guest was sitting in that chair?

But perhaps I am imagining way too much! I could almost write a whole story based upon that picture. LOL.

Honored Contributor

First reaction:

'Someone elderly lives there' 

but I'm discovering he's only 57. 

Esteemed Contributor

love the blue chair and simple stairway.

but clutter makes me feel unsettled and that other photo is 100% clutter, in my opinion.

but oddly, what bothers me the most is how it would feel to have that plant hanging over me if I were sitting in that wicker chair.

“All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.” St. Julian of Norwich
Honored Contributor

I love the couches, chairs, the chandelier is exquisite, the fabrics lovely, the shelves of books appealing.  The bedroom ceiling is beautiful.  I am not a fan of some of the decor and do not care for the wall paintings.  In general there is much to see, much to admire and also much that isn't appealing!!!!! It's a mixed bag so to speak for me.