Honored Contributor

COASTAL, RUSTIC DECOR IDEAS

[ Edited ]

"Coastal Cheryl" has a youtube channel in which she shows various combinations of vases, trays, faux (and maybe real?) flowers.  

By the way, she's one who identifies the apparently hotly contested "coastal grandmother" style, as being the interior design style featured in Nancy Meyers' movies, maybe ones in which Diane Keaton strides around a fabulous house in a loose white button-down and khaki trousers, ha.

snapshot.jpg

I like that Creative Co-op wood tray above, that Cheryl mixed with faux tulips and a chunky pitcher.

Anyway, she just fools around in her kitchen, trying out various combos, and it can spark ideas.  She also gives sources for everything she shows, much of which tends to be fairly moderate in price for the budget-minded.

snapshot.jpg

Even though these aren't my design styles, I think she comes up with some great combos, like that organic wood vase with the feathery faux lavender above.

Don't know why, there is something calming and almost hypnotic about someone else arranging blossoms and vignettes.  If you like this sort of thing, google:  Coastal Cheryl youtube.

snapshot.jpg

Honored Contributor

Re: COASTAL, RUSTIC DECOR FANS

I love this type of decor and enjoy having faux flowers around my house in different vases and such.  I like the idea of tray decorating.  Also I have for a long time used my old books as platforms for photos etc.  Decorating and trying different things is always fun and enjoyable for me and that is the bottom line.  It makes me feel good when I look around  and see different groupings, faux flowers , old photos.  I'm sure Coastal Cheryl loves what she creates!!!!!  Thanks for sharing.

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell - thanks for sharing!  I enjoy watching videos where I can get decorating ideas.  I'm always moving and switching things around. In the last picture posted I saw on Amazon the two tan vases she is filling with flowers. I will check out her videos.

Respected Contributor

Thanks, Oznell!  Some of her arrangements are interesting.  I'm sorry but I am not a fan of faux flowers at all.  There are numerous places where you can purchase real flowers at a reasonable cost.  Most grocery stores have them available.  For less than $10.00 you can make a lovely arrangement.  My Publix's has 3 bunches for 9.99., tulips are 6.99.  My favorite is Wegman's, fabulous selection!

I will purchase the Asiatic Lillies which are 3 stems and at least 3 buds on each stem.  They are wonderfully fragrant and last at least a week and fill the house with a beautiful fragrance.  I can put each stem in  a single bud vase for three arrangements or place all of them together for an abundant arrangement.  I would find it difficult to live without live flowers in the house.........my weakness! 

Honored Contributor

@spiderw,  bingo,   I love using my old books all over the house too!  As platforms and risers, but also just conventionally, with vintage bookends holding them up.  Few other things add quite as much atmosphere as books.

@twinsister,  me too, I've switched things up, esp. in living room, probably at least 10 times since March.  Isn't it fun to "shop your own house",  find stuff, and make new vignettes to attract the eye?   That's why I love watching videos like this.  And those tan vases caught my eye also, even though they're more modern and not really my style.  I like the playful, faux "woven" texture.

@Somertime,  mmmm,  fresh flowers so scrumptious--  your house must smell so good all the time.  Like you, fresh is always my preference.  But I don't mind mixing or sometimes substituting "faux"--  it depends how artfully it is done, I think.  I think I l'm attracted to all the moving parts--  interesting vases, bowls, trays, candles and their holders, greenery--  I just love seeing various combos-- it's like the 'adult' version of playing with toys, I expect...

Honored Contributor

I noticed that a home boutique I buy things at have a lot of Creative Co-op items.  Therefore, I have a lot of Creative Co-op items.  Just got a set of pretty Afloral dishtowel from C Co-op thru Amazon of all places.  They kinda have a marketplace there.

Honored Contributor

Oznell, I couldn't agree with you more!  I love books and using them for decor keeps them out and not hidden away!

Honored Contributor

@spiderw wrote:

I love this type of decor and enjoy having faux flowers around my house in different vases and such.  I like the idea of tray decorating.  Also I have for a long time used my old books as platforms for photos etc.  Decorating and trying different things is always fun and enjoyable for me and that is the bottom line.  It makes me feel good when I look around  and see different groupings, faux flowers , old photos.  I'm sure Coastal Cheryl loves what she creates!!!!!  Thanks for sharing.

@spiderw     

You would love the laytex Real Touch Flowers which look so very much better than silk.

Sometimes, they can be found in floral shops.

Honored Contributor

@Oznell ...................I had a good laugh at my self as I expected to see ceiling fans.   Smiley Frustrated

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

Re: COASTAL, RUSTIC DECOR IDEAS

@Lucky Charm,  I love a lot of Creative Co-op items too! When browsing Amazon, it's one of the places I love to check.  Also like to look at their online store.  I bet you have some neat things!  Much of their stuff has that sophisticated, sort of global or 'well-traveled' feeling, and even a few pieces of theirs can really enliven a room.

Ha, ha, clever @Imaoldhippie ,  I never thought of one of those kind of fans!!   You have one of those wide-ranging minds.  I have now changed my title from "fans" to "ideas",  lest anyone think we are chasing down ceiling fans...