Valued Contributor

Re: CINDY HATTERSLEY'S "NEW-OLD" LIVING ROOM

@Oznell I fell into the rabbit hole of a different style, colors other than this shown. Unfortunately, now I'm stuck trying to recapture my original style. It's my experience not to try and force myself to like something that I just don't. Sigh..an expensive lesson learned. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell   I really love her style and could easily live in this home.  I think her idea of putting the shutters in the niches is so clever and unique.  

I very much like that she didn't buy new furniture.  So many people seem to feel they need to start over with furniture when they move.  I've never done that.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Very pretty..love the colors used. It is a warm and welcoming home.

I don't care for the art and would remove one of the chairs in the Living Room but everything else looks great to me.

Honored Contributor

Is she in California?  Looks like homes I grew up around.

Honored Contributor

They may have downsized by means of less sq footage/space but not in the amount of stuff. This room is really over crowded with all this furniture and nick nack dust collectors - my opinion but I'd have gotten rid of a lot of it.

Esteemed Contributor

It's nicely done but and there are pieces here and there that I really like but I'm just not into the "neutral" look that is so popular right now.  As has been mentioned, I don't care for the varying heights of the window treatments nor the removal of the shelves in the niches.  I like the shutters she hung in the niches but would have hung them on an open wall space instead.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

For the most part I do like what she has done with the decor---not much of a pillow fan tho, but I do love the rustic touches especially the baskets--am a basket freak myself---still way too much stuff for me----including furniture but like her colors--love the built ins too. Link the window treatments--I did that in a couple rental houses I lived in--was cheap and offered privacy--don't like naked windows. Love the vintage wood pieces too--

Honored Contributor

Our decorating styles are our own, but I don't much care for hers, as represented here. There are some wonderful elements but, to me, the room looks cluttered. She's simply included too much, given the room's size. I think her niche shelf treatment is unfortunate and I guess I just don't particularly care for the way she's combined elements. Moreover, the room strikes me as bland despite being a bit over-stuffed. Though the room has good bones and a pretty floor, there's really not much about this one that stands out as something I really like and while I like her choice of blinds, her window treatments, overall, don't appeal to me.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@DiAnne,  it is in California.  Don't quote me, but I think it is up in wine country somewhere, not in Southern California.

@NickNack,  clever of you to pick up on that "creative re-use" of your own furniture!   I love that and have tried to do that too.  In her case, she had curated, well-loved vintage pieces, and I can see why she'd retain them no matter where she moved....

Honored Contributor

@Oznell   I really love the color combinations in this room and the casual/comfortable feeling it gives.  The only thing missing for me is some  ceramics and/or shiny objects.

Although I'm not all that great at mixing styles, I'm taking my time doing it in my own home.  It's  getting better and better as I go. It's kind of that 80% 20% idea. Yes, it's a little challenging but, for me, it's  been worth it. It means returning things that aren't quite right but, little by little, I'm  catching on!   I'm finding it more satisfying finding the style I like (which is very similar to your picture).....  then adding pieces from other era's that I have always been partial to.  Kind of the best of both worlds for me.