Honored Contributor

CHICAGO 1870'S PROPERTY-- OUTDOOR / INDOOR SPACES

Another dreamy Chicago-area gardenscape got me going, I guess..

Designer Summer Thornton has a magical Victorian house in Chicago, and it was a revelation to me what she did in her outdoor/indoor spaces.   So romantic, and with a strong nod to the 19th century, but useful for today--

12-Summer_Thornton_Courtyard-MelanieAcevedo.jpg

What a space for an outdoor party.  Love the slightly worn, vintage-looking black and white tiles.   I bet this courtyard or patio looks picturesque even now, with snow on it-- the "bones" are good...

11-Summer_Thornton_Courtyard-MelanieAcevedo.jpg

Intimate corner for dining....

13-Summer_Thornton_Courtyard-MelanieAcevedo.jpg

Then, she's made an extraordinary trellised garden room to transition to indoors, with the same tile giving continuity.   Personally, I like trellising, but not this much.   Wouldn't have it on the ceiling, for example.  But Summer Thornton is nothing if not exuberant---

14-Summer_Thornton_Garden_Room-MelanieAcevedo.jpg

This was about indoor/outdoor, but just for fun, a couple of pictures of the interior.  You can see she had great vintage architectural elements to work with--  vestibule, transomed door, ceiling medallions, inlaid tile floors, herringbone wood floors....  Looks like original doors.  Love the pale blue walls in entry-- can brighten even a dreary winter day...

28-Summer_Thornton_Foyer-WernerStraube.jpg

Again, love her sense of color, seen here in living room.  I've never been an orange person, but have noticed Summer Thornton using it so winsomely in several projects--  she's winning me over, ha.

04-Summer_Thornton_Living_Room-MelanieAcevedo.jpg

Valued Contributor

Re: CHICAGO 1870'S PROPERTY-- OUTDOOR / INDOOR SPACES

Very pretty, the outside looks like a villa. The black and white tiles remind me of Mackenzie Childs decor.

Honored Contributor

I would love to be invited to an Afternoon Tea in the gorgeous Courtyard. 

The Entry to the home is just perfect along with the Room off the Courtyard.

Respected Contributor

Love this sooooo much.

Respected Contributor

OMG, be still my heart . . . Heart

So beautiful... Cat Very Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Beautiful outdoor spaces and garden room! I love all the greenery. The foyer and entry are very nice too, although there's too much stuff on the walls for me. My least favorite space is last photo. I like orange in small doses, but orange shelves & walls wouldn't be my choice. 

Trusted Contributor

WOW!!!! That is wonderful!

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Honored Contributor

Beautiful inside and out!!!  The calm inviting warm environment outside is spectacular and I would spend a lot of time there.  I think the dining set is lovely and the decor enhances the appeal

The entryway is so well done and it would make me feel very comfortable as I walk in.  I do love the inside room, the very pretty furniture, the plants, the painting over the mantle and the blue jars and vase are such a elegant touch.  The crystal and candle decor between the book shelves, so elegant!   Yes, I do like this home!

Honored Contributor

Everything was beautiful.  I can accept the orange because it is more of a tint.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell   Very pretty.  What time is Sunday brunch?  I really like the entry way.  Thanks for sharing.  Always like to take a peek!