Honored Contributor

Re: CHICAGO 1870'S PROPERTY-- OUTDOOR / INDOOR SPACES

Brunch it is, @lynnie61 --  and we needn't put a time limit on it--  I could hang out there most of the day, I think!

Honored Contributor

These are lovely spaces with some beautiful elements but between the tiled terrace, the tiled and latticed sun room and the herringbone floored entry it is all a bit dizzying. I'm not a less is more person, but sometimes a little restraint is a good thing.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I really love it but I do believe that less is more and more is more than enough.  I would edit some of the lattice, the tiles or a lot of the floribunda out but all-in-all, the outdoor spaces are wonderful and I do love the front doors in black with sun shining through.

Honored Contributor

Lovely. If you had asked us to guess the city, I would never have said Chicago. When I think of Chicago, it's Frank Lloyd Wright homes or those Prairie Street mansions that look like fortresses.

Honored Contributor

Good points,  @stevieb  and @Nonametoday --  I agree with you, esp. about the trellised garden room.  While I love a garden room-- and this one has much to recommend it--  that criss-cross, graphic nature of trellis can definitely be overdone!

Those types of houses you mention as being typically Chicago are what I first think of too, @AuntG .   Ha, ha, "fortress-like" is a good description, as many are huge stone piles to defend against those Chicago winters. 

Luckily they do have a pretty good stock also of more airy, fanciful Victorians,  and then also, the charming "worker" housing that was made economically for industrial workers back then-- love those compact, more cozy dwellings too.

Super Contributor

In the second photo, the birds-eye view of the set table looks like a kaleidoscope image.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Even though this is not my personal style, there are some really beautiful elements here....inside and outside.  I'm another one of those "less is more" type people and wish she had done that.  My favorite room is the entryway/foyer.  The garden sitting room with all the trellis work is unfortunate.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown