Honored Contributor

CAROLYNE ROEHM'S CONNECTICUT DREAM

[ Edited ]

I call it a "dream" because this was hers.  After her famous marriage dissolved AND her 1765 Connecticut house, "Weatherstone", burned down, she decided to rebuild, and came up with a classical vision that admittedly, wouldn't be everyone's, but which she exuberantly embraces.  "One King's Lane" offers a glimpse:

one kings lane_carolyne roehm_EXTERIOR.jpg

My Lee Radziwill thread made me think of her, b/c of all the "chi-chi" society dames around, I think Carolyne Roehm has one of the more interesting aesthetics (and of course the means to see them come to reality!

one kings lane_carolyne roehm_LEAD IMAGE_PORTRAIT WITH DOG, HORIZONTAL.jpg

A double height salon.  (Side note to @Somertime-- The article says the needlepoint rug was once in your amazing David Easton's house!)  Carolyne Roehm says she keeps her best chinoiserie for this room.  I love that she pairs that blue and white with my beloved mossy green.  She does the same, only more so, in her Charleston house...  

one kings lane_carolyne roehm_DOUBLE STORY LIVING ROOM.jpg

one kings lane_carolyne roehm_MANTLE WITH MIRROS.jpg

Lots of pretty painted furniture:

one kings lane_carolyne roehm_one kings lane_carolyne roehm_FIREPLACE.jpg

A cozy study is a nice respite from the airiness of some of the other rooms:

one kings lane_carolyne roehm_STUDY.jpg

one kings lane_carolyne roehm_EAGLE.jpg

Love the conservatory:

one kings lane_carolyne roehm_CONSERVATORY.jpg

A view of the classic parterre gardens:

pg51.jpg

Ahhhhhh... rural bliss. 

AtHomeintheGarden_FINAL_clean.jpg

This is such escapist fantasy for me-- I was sort of swooning while posting some of these rooms and vistas!

Respected Contributor

Re: CAROLYNE ROEHM'S CONNECTICUT DREAM

Are those books in the first photo lined up according to color.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell Oh, my heavens, I haven't thought of her in years!  She seemed to retreat after her divorce from Henry Kravitz.  I was sorry to read the original house burned down.    All of David's rug were made in Portugal.  I think the rug was designed for Patricia Kluge for her house, Ablemare.  She, always, had a very nice aesthetic.  She and Kravitz were divorced because he wished to marry Marie Josee something or other.  She was French and I think a scholar.  It was a scandal because he could be very cut and dry, swift to cut and end it.  A lot of negotiations over a divorce settlement.  She was a very nice person, small, soft spoken and warm.  He was very good in business and amassing property as well as money.  Funny, you don't hear much about either of them, today.

Honored Contributor

And do you remember when her set of four seasonal decor books, spiral bound, came out?  I used to covet those and drool over them in the bookstore but never bought them at the time. 

Last year I bought the Fall Notebook (my favorite season) for a very low price.  Unfortunately, even though I ordered the spiral bound, it came with a regular binding.  Kind of spoiled it for me and put me off ordering the rest of the set.  Still, a lovely book.

You're right, @Oznell , about these chi-chi women in Connecticut.  Alexandra Stoddard is based there, too.  I can't count all the books of hers I own.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I don't know if they're actually coordinated, @tobes--  a lot of 19th century tomes came in huge sets, often of leather bound books.  People would get the whole set, on a subject like the decline and fall of the Roman Empire or something, much like they used to get a complete set of encyclopedias...

Trust you to have fascinating back story, @Somertime!   So neat to get your close-to-the-scene insights.

What a history-- middle class, Midwestern girl,  NYC,  worked for and became "mentored" by the great Oscar de la Renta!  She does seem to have at least been busy with her books about various interests, gardens, porcelain, entertaining etc.

@GingerPeach, I didn't know about those Notebooks-- how pretty yours is-- but looked them up--  love the spring one since it has my fave, lily of the valley on the cover.  She always seems to have ravishing book covers:

Trusted Contributor

@OznellMy dream home !!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh, total agreement from me, discerning @hayseed00!

Edited to add:   And I'll take the "lifestyle" that goes along with it, ha.

Honored Contributor

That house is perfection!  I have several of her books.  

I had the pleasure of meeting Alexandra Stoddard and Peter a couple of times.  Lovely lady and she put in a beautiful piece of ribbon for a bookmark when she signed the book.

I love Nell Hill, Charles Faudre (lived in Oklahoma), and many others in the traditional realm.  I love Southern Home magazine, which is traditional updated for the most part. 

Honored Contributor

Oh, yeah, @Sooner,  Alexandra Stoddard and Faudree are two big likes of mine too....

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Oh, yeah, @Sooner,  Alexandra Stoddard and Faudree are two big likes of mine too....

@Oznell Woman Wink  Now why am I not surprised?  Do you get Southern Home magazine?  I am in love in with so many of their looks.