Trusted Contributor

Re: CALM, SOFT COLORS CHRISTMAS TOUR

@Oznell 

Just f-a-n-t-a-s-t-i-c.

Breathtaking gorgeous decorating...at its finest. 

⚓️
Honored Contributor

Excellent design for those liking this color scheme.

I like Christmas decorations to hit me in the face when I walk into a room.  I definitely know it's Christmas.  It's cheery in rich reds and greens with gold or silver if desired.  Bright solid and/or multicolored ornaments.  Tasteful, not clutter, gaudy, or glittery.  

This designers decorating is the opposite, not Christmasy, cheery.  Everything is pretty much the same color scheme as the decor she uses year round.  Nothing stands out.  

I think color affects our moods and energy levels depending on what colors are preferred.  For me, this color scheme is depressing, not calming.   

One of my neighbors decorated her entire house in off white.  Rugs, sofas, chairs, lamps, curtains, walls, accessories.  Even her dog is off white.   At Christmas she uses an all white tree with white decorations.  Her TV's with black frames are the only things noticeable.  

Usually, I feel something when I enter a house.  Warmth, welcoming, cold, creative, inspiring, etc.  I feel my energy level drain in her house.

That's how I feel about this designers' decor, but that doesn't mean her decorations aren't pretty.  She likes them and that's all that matters.  

Honored Contributor

I like her taste.  I could live there easily.  

Yes, she's extra perky but I can't fault her for that.  I would be, too, if I had created something so adorable and sweet and elegant.

I am reading about Scandinavian habits and customs lately, made cardamom cookies yesterday, and plan to institute "fika" - I mean, how could one not?  

My favorite thing has to be the starry lights draping down over the windows.  I didn't realize she was in San Diego until she said so because my very first impression was that it was snowing. I've seen those starry curtain lights before but her film crew captured hers perfectly. 

I got this little book from amazon.  There are so many books about fika.  The closest Scandinavian/Swedish destination near me is Ikea.  Now I know what my locale is missing!!

Image result for fika book

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

I've never heard of "fika", @GingerPeach!  That is cool.  The concept of a little coffee, a little cake and a chance to slow down and savor--  yes, yes, I'm on board.   I'm sure it involves even more than that, will have to investigate more...

Then there's hygge (spelling?) too, which I have to brush up on.

Respected Contributor

First I found the host flippy and child-like which was quite unappealing. The obsession with her bottle-brush trees was too much! The decorations are overdone for that little house, never understood why Christmas decorations are excessive all over one's house, that is not something I have ever done..just a little touch here and a little touch there but not overkill with decorating.  I keep it quite simple and traditional.  

Trusted Contributor

I could easily live in that home, if I didn't already have a house full of furniture and could afford to start over, lol. 

I like the muted colors. But would have liked some pops of deeper color in the Christmas decor, especially in the pillows. 

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I love the calm, soft Christmas colors.  I'm not the biggest fan of red and I use it minimally in Christmas decorating.  

That being said, I'm not a huge fan of the decorating style of the woman in the video.  She has some "cutesy" things, and I'm really not into "cutesy."

Adding:  I do really love her Christmas Tree dishes.  Christmas trees seem to be my theme every year ( didn't really know they were "in" this year until recently.)  I'm not into the Santa thing, or the snowman thing, or the carollers with the "o" mouths, etc.  I have always focused on greens, candles and trees and lights.

Honored Contributor

I love those tree dishes also, @faeriemoon..   Candles, greens, lanterns, bowls of ornaments (mixed with the aforementioned greens and pine cones) are among my "staples" too....

Honored Contributor

While this isn't my style or choice of decor, it is pretty and has appeal.  It is always fun to see how others decorate and you do get ideas.  I like to add blues , golds and silvers to my green and red decor!

Honored Contributor

I love her home and Christmas decor...

I hate the colors red and green together.  I know they are Christmas Colors and across from one another on the color wheel and are supposed to look great together, but to my eye, they clash and are too harsh together.

I use many shades of green with wine or pink shades, very little red at Christmas.

I do like red, just not with green.