Honored Contributor

Depends on what you buy and your bed, I think.

I don't do memory foam. Learned the hard way that it was the WORST thing for my lower back. That's when I found out that traditional, non-memory foam and flippable mattresses are almost impossible to find. But, I found them. Not cheap.

We are a family that loves Extra-Extra Firm mattresses. DH and I grew up on them (his boarding school had wood flat beds with roll out thin mattress so, he has no issue sleeping on the floor if a mattress isn't super firm), so have our children. There IS a market for them but it's not the market that 99% of the population buy. So, we wait for the sales (once a year) and buy them then and yes, a boxspring is needed.

Trusted Contributor

@homedecor1   We are also in the market for a mattress.  We were told that if our Box Spring was in good shape we could re-use it not that they weren't needed at all.  That of course only works if you are replacing to the same size and if you have a flat platform to put the mattress on.  

Bed Springs themselves aren't too expensive but if the ones in your guest room are in good shape maybe you could consider moving those to your master bedroom.  

Trusted Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

As long as there's a platform or surface to support the mattress, box springs are no longer necessary. If your existing platform doesn't provide the support, it's still cheaper to buy a new frame that does provide the support than a box spring. The mattress business is evolving at a pretty impressive rate right now.

Compressed mattresses (both coil spring and foam) are the big trend these days as they're easier to store/warehouse, easier to transport and get into a house and solve a lot of the issues people had with older style box springs and mattresses. Have a narrow staircase you need to get a mattress and box spring up? Compressed ones can fit pretty much any place where a human can go. Larger ones even come in boxes with wheels attached to the box so you can just wheel them to where you want them.

Speaking of Compressed mattresses.  Has anyone tried one of these?  I was thinking about getting one but I didn't want to spend money on something that wouldn't be comfortable after a couple years.

Regular Contributor

Re: Buying New Mattress -

[ Edited ]

I too just purchased a Serta Hybrid queen mattress & box spring from Macy's during their Labor Day sale. I too, didn't want to purchase a box spring as I already had one I'm using. But, I don't have a platform bed and if you are going to invest in a new mattress, why use an old box spring as it is the foundation for the mattress.

Buy a box spring if you don't have a platform bed.

Honored Contributor

Re: Buying New Mattress -

[ Edited ]

Box springs are not needed if you use what they call a platform or smart base type frame.  You cannot put one of the newer type compressed mattresses in a box directly on a traditional frame, you need the box spring.  Can you imagine how far down the mattress would be if you did that?  Not to mention, the mattress falling through?  Since you're downsizing, you will need to buy a platform or smart base to accomodate your new mattress or buy a full set mattress and box spring, and get a new traditional style of frame in a queen size.

Honored Contributor

Thank you everyone for your replies and suggestions😄

Mystery solved - went back to store today.  Boxspring is not needed if replacing mattress with same size.

In my case, I definitely need both pieces as it's gonna be on a traditional bed frame.

Thanks again!  Now to decide what price is best & most comfy🙂 

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it contains a link.

Super Contributor

I bought a "box bed" a few years ago from Tuft and Needle.  The mattress remains very comfortable after 5 years, so far so good.  I also bought a platform bed frame from Amazon.  Its higher than a standard frame which works with a box spring and mattress.  Its about 14 inches off the floor which means I have tons of storage underneath.  There is plenty of support from the frame.  

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624---oh that stinks!!! My DD bought a bed in a box and she just didn't like it---so the company arranged to have a local donation come out and take it away. all free of charge--she got all her cash back too. that should have been explained in the hundreds of hours of showing the TSV---I would complain big time!!!!

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1  I owned a bed years ago that only required a mattress.  The comfort level was just okay.  There is nothing like a mattress and box spring for true comfort.  Or, if you choose a foam mattress with platform.

kindness is strength