Honored Contributor

My guest room has CA King and I'm downsizing it to a queen. I also am upgrading our CA King in master. 

I've been shopping all the usual stores & the sales people tell me box springs are not needed.  Does this sound right?

In fact, I went to Mattress Firm today she said no you just put on frame.  Of course, box spring if you want it are separate prices.

I haven't bought new beds in about 10 years -- maybe things have changed.  

Is this right?  Thank you!!

Super Contributor

I think it depends on what you have for a bed frame.  If it already has a platform then I suppose you would not need a box spring.  My bed would have to have some sort of platform or box spring to raise it up high enough off the floor and it also has wood sides so the mattress would be to low.    I think most beds you have to buy box spring or platform.  Probably depends on your bed.  

Honored Contributor

I think mattresses are heading that way.  My next mattress will have a box spring.

Honored Contributor

My sister recently bought a relatively inexpensive mattress from QVC that she's crazy about.  She has arthritis in her hips and its memory foam relieves pressure.

Since it comes sealed under pressure, we were wondering what the return arrangements would be.  She called CS and asked.  She was told her money would be refunded if she was dissatisfied but getting rid of it would be her responsibility.  So I guess if you don't like it, it's free.  Must be cheaper to write it off than fool with freight to pack and return it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@ I sure hope you can store your previous mattress just in case you don't like the new one.It sound right about not returning the mattress , i can't figure how you could squish it back down .

Esteemed Contributor

@homedecor1 , consider an adjustable bed for the master bedroom.  Love mine.  Bought from Costco.  LM

Honored Contributor

As long as there's a platform or surface to support the mattress, box springs are no longer necessary. If your existing platform doesn't provide the support, it's still cheaper to buy a new frame that does provide the support than a box spring. The mattress business is evolving at a pretty impressive rate right now.

Compressed mattresses (both coil spring and foam) are the big trend these days as they're easier to store/warehouse, easier to transport and get into a house and solve a lot of the issues people had with older style box springs and mattresses. Have a narrow staircase you need to get a mattress and box spring up? Compressed ones can fit pretty much any place where a human can go. Larger ones even come in boxes with wheels attached to the box so you can just wheel them to where you want them.

Mattress stores are going to go the way of Blockbuster and record stores in the very near future. Online mattress sales are skyrocketing and lots of companies are jumping into that market. Reviews on mattresses sold online often surpass the reviews of store-bought mattresses. Many/most even include ridiculously generous return options should you be unhappy with your purchase.

Traditional mattress makers are in a bit of trouble. Their system of making multiple versions of the same mattress under different names for different retailers to prevent price comparison from store to store, costs them more money and simply confuses shoppers. The online mattress makers don't play that game. They simply make their mattresses in large quantities holding down their costs and then ship them more efficiently. By compressing them they can squeeze a lot more mattresses into each shipping container or truck and that results in a lower cost for the consumer. Traditional mattress makers need to adjust or die and in all likelihood they'll die. They're losing market share at a rapid pace and consumers like their new alternatives.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

We bought a bedframe from Amazon for our king bed.  It's similar to a platform except it collapses for easy moving.  We put our mattress right on top, no boxspring necessary.  It's great!

Honored Contributor

F851C747-B2B3-447A-8A58-EE99062C19C9.jpeg

This is the bed I'm replacing -- it is on a traditional frame with boxspring (2) and CA King mattress.  I'd love to donate it because it has had limited use and was brand new when we moved in - previous owner bought it.

Therefore, I can't figure out "how or why" I wouldn't need boxspring.  Bed would be too low to floor.

I won't buy online or Q -- this guestroom has only been used maybe 5-6 times in 5 years.  My company comes and off we go to a hotel since we are usually going somewhere😉

Its just too big for room but I do want something comfortable.

Honored Contributor

I just purchased a new Queen size boxspring and mattress from Macys. It was on sale and it is a dream bed. Traditional Sealy Posturepedic Lawson and although it is high from the ground, I find it very comfortable to sleep in..

Delivery was easy set-up and for an additional $20 they removed the old bedding.