Respected Contributor

Buying Furniture Online; Is It Worth It?

I ordered an upholstered chair from an online home furnishings/furniture store Friday. It arrived today. Once I managed to push the huge box in the house, it took 30 minutes to remove the box, take it to the driveway, hose it down, and tear & bag it for recycle. Then I read the directions and started to attach the legs with the enclosed allen wrench. The lining under the chair zips down to attach the legs.The 1st time I dropped the wrench inside the chair it fell back out instantly. The 2nd time I dropped the wrench, it went further in. I now have a new chair with a small allen wrench inside it. Ugh.(I'll laugh tomorrow)

In May, I ordered 2 marble top end tables. I hired a handy man to attach the legs because the marble was too heavy for me to move. I paid him $80, and the shipping was $80.

When I'm buying new furniture, I want it to be exactly what I'm looking for. But the convenience of buying in a bricks & mortar store allows me to see the item and have it delivered inside the house- already assembled. Idk if online furniture is worth the hassle.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Buying Furniture Online; Is It Worth It?

@Desert Lily wrote:

I ordered an upholstered chair from an online home furnishings/furniture store Friday. It arrived today. Once I managed to push the huge box in the house, it took 30 minutes to remove the box, take it to the driveway, hose it down, and tear & bag it for recycle. Then I read the directions and started to attach the legs with the enclosed allen wrench. The lining under the chair zips down to attach the legs.The 1st time I dropped the wrench inside the chair it fell back out instantly. The 2nd time I dropped the wrench, it went further in. I now have a new chair with a small allen wrench inside it. Ugh.(I'll laugh tomorrow)

In May, I ordered 2 marble top end tables. I hired a handy man to attach the legs because the marble was too heavy for me to move. I paid him $80, and the shipping was $80.

When I'm buying new furniture, I want it to be exactly what I'm looking for. But the convenience of buying in a bricks & mortar store allows me to see the item and have it delivered inside the house- already assembled. Idk if online furniture is worth the hassle.

I wonder the same thing too. There has been furniture I've wanted to buy online, but I don't want to have to do too much assembly at home; I'm not that handy!

Honored Contributor

I recently bought a kitchen cart that needed assembly and I would not have bought it if I had to do the assembling. It took my husband 2 hours to assemble it, but he enjoys doing that stuff and the cart is just beautiful. That being said, the cart still cost hundreds of dollars, but if I would have bought it at a furniture store or kitchen emporium it would have cost over 1000 dollars. My son furnished his apartment online,  again he's good at assembling things. Buying online saved him hundreds of dollars.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

About 15 years ago I bought 2 end tables, a coffee table and a sofa table direct from a well known furniture company -- Thomasville.  I saw and priced these pieces in a local store so there were no surprises.  The price was much less than retail and in-home delivery was included.  I still have the pieces and they look brand new.  Very pleased with the purchase.  Don't know if I would order upholstered pieces that way.  I would want to try those types of furniture in person to make sure they were comfortable.  Don't know how people can purchase mattresses on-line.  That purchase took us FOREVER.

Honored Contributor

I bought furniture from Pottery Barn and Crate & Barrel.  My bedroom furniture was from Pottery Barn and I did see it in the store.  My bed from C&B and I did not see in the store but it was an iron bed and pretty straight forward.  I had to pay $99 for delivery from C&B but when the delivery guys left after assembling the bed they left crumbled up tape and other garbage on the floor.   I immediately called and explained that I did not pay $99 for picking up someone else's garbage.  I received a credit for $99.  HeartCat Happy

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

Certain things I would buy on line. I would buy end tables for example. As far as a couch or chair if it was sometinc I was going to be sitting in every day I wouldn't. What if it isn't comfy. But if they are just for show and accent then that might be ok. I might be buying a bed and the matching furniture from Ballard. It's kind of scary but the reviews are good and I think it's so pretty. 

Honored Contributor

I have no problem ordering online, but I have a problem with putting the furniture together.  Over the years, my sister took my mother to Ikea and they purchased various furniture pieces.  My sister would get to a certain point and stop.  When I would visit, I'd say how come that's only half put together?  They never got put together and were eventually tossed.  I made my mother swear not to buy anything that doesn't come assembled.

Regular Contributor

Bought a 10-basket chest on internet recently from ChristmasTree Shop.  Saw it in the store an hour from home but was too big to fit in friend's car.  Got a great deal -S&H was free and was on sale. FedEx delivered it upside down and 3 of the 4 corners were broken. I called CS and they could not have been nicer. Replacement came by UPS in 2 days versus 7.  It was exactly what I wanted but had not been able to find.  Sometimes great CS can make up for inconvenience. But it's not the first time l've had trouble with FedEx.  It's always risky ordering online but what a coup when you get a good price, free shipping and it comes undamaged!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@coffee drinker  I have a house full of Thomasville.  I saw the pieces in a Thomasville store and they were made and delivered from the factory on the east coast.  The  china cabinet and the armoire look brand new and are still beautiful.  Some of the pieces have not aged as graciously but remain functional and beautiful.  The furniture is solid wood...some inlaid with burl wood. This is after 25+ years.  I don't know if I would make that kind of investment again, but there is something to be said for construction and you really don't get a sense of this when you buy online.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would order furniture online IF I saw it in a store and liked it, and the total cost online was less including s/h.  Purchasing at a b&m

store is definitely my preference.  No muss or fuss with handling a huge box, disposing of it and having to assemble whatever you bought.