Valued Contributor

Buy a generator to stop electricity and heating failures

I had an automatic generator custom built in so if the electric goes down everything electric in the house will still work, like my much needed central air conditioning  and I also changed to gas heating as opposed to keeping electric heating.

The built in generator goes on immediately if the electric shuts off so everything cotinues to work with no loss of services time at all.

Expensive....Yes very, expensive, but so worth the cost, and when it comes to selling I will recoup that money I paid plus more so this is for me a definite 100% win win situation.

Honored Contributor

Re: Buy a generator to stop electricity and heating failures

We have one too. 

At the end of November, we had a terrible snow and ice storm.  Our power was off from Sunday night until Wednesday afternoon.  I was so grateful for that generator. 

Prior to that, we lost power for a couple hours here and there, but never for that many days. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

We have one that does our whole home, heat and ac, as well. When the power was out for just shy of 2 weeks  for Hurricane Sandy, we had power and were able to help neighbors. 

So well worth the money. 

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Trusted Contributor

We're on Rural Electric (in the country) and our power goes off more than most peoples. We purchased a whole-home generator and I love the fact that in the winter, I have heat, in the summer, it's cool. I've used it a lot since having it installed and can't imagine being without it.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

We splurged and got one too about 4 years ago. We had to have a larger gas meter installed and our yard dug up to have the new gas line laid, but we would do it again in a heartbeat. It is definitely peace of mind. Also if we ever sell our house, it is going to be a nice selling feature and give our house added value. 

Esteemed Contributor

we have one, too....and love it....my husband is looking into an insulated enclosure to cut down on the noise!

Super Contributor

I’m one of the fortunate ones with a whole house generator and can’t imagine being without one!  I worked for an electric company years ago and learned “It’s not IF the power goes off, it’s WHEN the power goes off.”  I had one put in then, and when we moved, had another installed at the new home.  It’s debatable whether we made more on the home we sold because if the generator, but the peace of mind and the overall convenience is worth the cost.  I do hate the noise they make though!

Honored Contributor

We have one too.

Absolutely worth the investment.

Honored Contributor

Yes! Couldn’t live without it. All of our neighbors have one. Our electricity goes out a lot!

Honored Contributor

We made this investment about 8 years ago, as part of our “getting the house ready to meet our needs when we get old” updates.   The day will come when my husbands COPD worsens to the point he needs full-time oxygen, and we will not have to be concerned about his equipment needs in an outage.   

We are in rural WV, and lose power frequently.  The longest our generator has run is 3 full days, but it has saved us from losing a lot of food in our 3 refrigerators and a freezer.   

Our generator was placed on the far side of our house, so we don’t even hear it running.