Respected Contributor

Bunny Williams....Not a house but a home.

[ Edited ]

For anyone who enjoys the work of Bunny Williams, a fabulous documentary that was on PBS.  https://www.pbs.org/video/bunny-williams-gombnn/

She's a delightful lady and very talented.  Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

@Oznell 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Bunny Williams....Not a house but a home.

I'm thinking she designs for Ballard Designs catalog

Honored Contributor

@Somertime   I did not watch the whole video but I did see her apt. and how she decorated her entrance with the turquoise paint.  I actually liked it.  She is an excellent designer and she did an excellent job in her apt.  Her taste is expensive and not in my budget but I can appreciate great taste and design.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

@granddi Yes, Ballard carries some of her designs.

Honored Contributor

Oh, thanks so much, thoughtful @Somertime -- what fun it will be to watch.  She is wonderful!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Katcat1 The scale in which she and John Rosselli live is way beyond my scope.  Just the staff alone to maintain the gardens is mind blowing.  It has taken over 30 years to develop the property to the way it is now.  She and John are inveterate collectors.  Besides the house in Connecticut, the apartment in NYC, they have a home in Punta Cana.

I knew both John and Bunny when I worked in New York in the design field for one of her close friends.  John had a lovely shop on East 72 Street for years where he sold reproductions that were made in his workspace up in Harlem.  Lovely items at decent prices as well as some antiques.  He closed that in the early 80's and opened Trelliage with Bunny Williams which was very successful.  They closed it in the 2000's.

Honored Contributor

I enjoyed the video and love Bunny's designs.  There was so much that impressed me because I love huge spacious rooms filled with art work, antiques and comfortable furnishings.  I also like to mix up design and not have it all match but yet blend.  The kitchen floor at the NY home is beautiful and I can see why Bunny wanted that type of floor.  There is just so much to admire, elegance and formal rooms that give comfort and a warm feeling, that is what I love!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nice video and thanks for posting it @Somertime. I can't say I adore everything Bunny does, but I do enjoy her, overall. I've owned her 'Love Affair with a House' book for years and periodically take it down and enjoy it again. It's become a bit dated, as it's the story of her Connecticut house, which as we see in the video, she's added to and has also redecorated over the years. While I agree with her that I like to sometimes see a mix of eras in the design of a room, I often don't care for the specific contemporary elements she chooses, though a different contemporary piece might work wonderfully for me. She and her husband have both had storied careers. Of couse, it appears they've been somewhat fortunate along the way. Both are somewhat legendary in their fields and have also marketed a number of retail enterprises over the years.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

I watched it, @Somertime --  wow, that was beautifully done!

That rich photography did full justice to her work, my goodness.  That Connecticut property is always a delight-- didn't realize it was so extensive.  Another thing, although I've seen snippets of their city apartment, getting to see it in full, flowing from one room to another, is quite another thing.  What a gorgeous space and so well thought out.

(Although I stil confess humbly l am not really convinced by the kitchen, personally, nor the terrazzo floor she loves.  Some terrazzo I really like but.... )

But all of her work, oh so fresh and yet full of historic allusion, and with the capacity to surprise and delight-- she is magnificent. 

The stainless steel beams, with blue glass in between to suggest "sky"..... she modestly said these ideas just "come" to her. 

Don't you love the very accessible, down-to-earth way she explains her rationales --  she makes things sound almost 'easy', when we know they're not!  She's not full of herself,  despite her vast talent and acclaim.  I expect that is your experience of her in real life too.

Thanks again for such a refreshing video and primer on great design, @Somertime .

Valued Contributor

I, too, have seen her designs in Ballard catalogs. Some things are beautiful, but really expensive.

I can't take seriously anyone who calls herself "Bunny."