Honored Contributor

Re: Built Ins for Showcasing your Stuff

It is a little too busy for me, and I really dislike the mirror above the fireplace and the use again of two different rugs.......It could be nice, but definitely needs a re-do~

Honored Contributor

I think if you have stuff you want to showcase, cramming it all in together isn't the proper way to do it.  Those shelves - and I admit to never being a fan of that type (as in configuration) of shelving - would look better with books, and perhaps a few decorative items strategically placed among them.

Honored Contributor

I guess I am "odd man out".  While I am not a fan of open shelving, whoever did the displays has a knack for it, imo.  I do see definite designer touches here. There are things I would change but, all in all, I agree with those who say it has possibilities.

Honored Contributor

To me they are representative of the rest of the furniture/decor/style of the room. Not anyting I find interesting or pleasing to the eye, but consistent. 

These types of shelving units are tricky, in my opinion. They can easily be over cluttered, they don't really fit with all styles of decor, and sometimes look 'dated' to me in style. 

That said, I have something similar in my family room, built in here before we moved in. I've used them in two different ways through the years. At one time, I featured only things that were either made by family members (I had family that did very nice ceramics and wood working) along with family heirloom things (like a toy car from the 1940's that was my dad's, two books my dad authored, etc.)

At this time, I use them to display almost exclusively my collection of Tom Clark gnomes. I collected these back in the day, have always loved the muted organic colors and natural elements incorporated, and they reflect the colors and style of my family room.  I'll include a couple of pic of what these look like. 

Keeping things that all match/coordinate helps me like a shelving like this a little more. It is so easy for it to get out of control and look like a hot mess.

30+ Gnomes - Tom Clark ideas | tom clark, gnomes, clark

West Saint Paul Antiques

Tom Clark Santa Gnome - shopgoodwill.com

Tom Clark, Tom Clark Gnomes - Page 1 | Replacements, Ltd.

Tom Clark, Tom Clark Gnomes - Page 1 | Replacements, Ltd.

Honored Contributor

While I understand the bulit-ins were done this way to accommodate certain pieces, I just don’t like the various cubby holes. It looks too random and my eye doesn’t know where to look, although that large round mirror definitely gets my attention, and not in a good way. I don’t care for the furniture & rug either. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lolakimono   I love built-ins.  I remodeled what used to be the family room into a room for me.  I had built-ins on all three walls installed.  The tops are glass cabinets for showing items, a counter surface, and below are very long, deep drawers, with small drawers at the top.  The drawers are fantastic, have gotten tons of items in them.  I want built-ins anywere I can have them, the next place being the living room, I hope.