Esteemed Contributor

Re: Builder Grade Oak- UPDATED

Thanks @lolakimono  sounds like this is a product to make note of just in case I were to buy a piece of furniture that was looking for a facelift.

You really dd a great job! 

Respected Contributor

I have lived in really old houses (1854 to 1928) through the years so had no oak except for the floors, which I have kept close to the natural oak color.

for woodwork and banisters, I like it much better painted either light or dark based on the look you want. I really like these dark banisters. 

Honored Contributor

Love the redo @lolakimono ...looks fantastic!!

Contributor

Our home we built in 95, so a lot of golden oak,  I was elated and so proud of my new home then, I know its considered dated now, but I'm old enough to remember people having white painted woodwork, then oak, etc. I'm tired of worrying about trying to keep up, it seems like no matter what you do, in 10 yrs,  its "dated".  I see beauty in so many decor themes, I guess its just whatever satisfies you and makes you comfortable.

Honored Contributor

I spent days on end doing the stain on my oak and still not happy because I had gone darker, not lighter.  I wanted light.  I ended up having a gun come take all my doors to a body shop and paint them and brought his handy sprayer to do the shells in situ.  It was not cheap but I have nice mayonnaise colored cabinets.  I do not like bright shiny white.  I picked the color mayonnaise from Benjamin Moore's paint for my wooden shutter and the body shop matched the cabinets up to that.

Respected Contributor

Beautiful yes updates need to be done, my oak kitchen cabinets & oak kitchen set I like it also know no one wants it. We went out to get new kitchen set no oak just dark wood which is fine cuz my familyroom is open & that is dark wood. Wow cheap light weight kitchen sets now. I just don't like the kitchen sets now. Furniture (to me) is disappointing. Furniture shopping is sad. It's gray or nothing now. I have went to 5 stores and feel kitchen sets are cheap. I use my kitchen table everyday don't want anything filmsy. Just need a kitchen table & chairs. 

Respected Contributor

My daughter's townhouse is 14yrs she moved in 4 yrs ago replaced all appliances but stove, which think next yr it will stop, she wants to paint inside needs carpet just stairs & bedrooms down stair is wood floors. So cute. Said paint so she needs to get some estimates out for that. Yard is cute but she needs patio furniture & little things. I live in a house & her townhouse went up in value more than my house. They stopped building townhouses, just single houses, condos or apts now. 

Esteemed Contributor

Wow that's a beautiful set of stairs. 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

I also used General Finishes Gel Stain on my bathroom vanity.  I looked at builder grade oak for about 5 years and said, enough already!  I really didn't want to go through the hassle of removing the old vanity (even though one of the doors looks a little crooked) so I decided to gel stain it.  It takes a little finesse and time, but I think the final product is worth the trouble.

vanity.jpg

Man plans. God laughs.